Windows Vista suddenly not genuine after 2.5 years and product key sticker illegible! RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

My computer randomly started prompting me to enter a windows product key and now the screen background is black and it says "Windows Vista (TM)/Build 6002/This copy of Windows is not genuine" in the lower right of the screen.

I tried to find a diagnostics tool but I wasn't sure where to find it. All I could find was a "Memory Diagnostics Tool" which I ran but it told me no problems were found.

The biggest problem is that since I have had this computer for several years the product key sticker is completely illegible. Is there any way to find out this number? Now I know to write this down next time...

Thanks so much,

Alexandra

Saturday, March 12, 2011 3:25 PM

Answers

• Hello,

My computer randomly started prompting me to enter a windows product key and now the screen background is black and it says "Windows Vista (TM)/Build 6002/This copy of Windows is not genuine" in the lower right of the screen.

I tried to find a diagnostics tool but I wasn't sure where to find it. All I could find was a "Memory Diagnostics Tool" which I ran but it told me no problems were found.

The biggest problem is that since I have had this computer for several years the product key sticker is completely illegible. Is there any way to find out this number? Now I know to write this down next time...

Thanks so much,

Alexandra

If you follow the instructions on the announcement at the top of the forum about posting a report from the MGA Diagnostic we can help you more.  Without the report we can not tell you how to even start fixing your issue.
    Saturday, March 12, 2011 10:14 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Thanks so much,

Alexandra

If you follow the instructions on the announcement at the top of the forum about posting a report from the MGA Diagnostic we can help you more.  Without the report we can not tell you how to even start fixing your issue.
    Saturday, March 12, 2011 10:14 PM
  • No reply from the Original Poster.

Issue is assumed to be resolved.

Darin MS
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 9:43 PM