Home Server remote access to XP Home, Vista Home Premium or Windows 7 Home Premium? RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any configuration that will allow Windows Home Server to provide remote access to Home editions of the Windows Product Line?
    (e.g. XP Home, Vista Home Premium or Windows 7 Home Premium?)

As best as I can tell, the home editions do not support RDP.  Kind of strange that "Home" Server doesn't allow people to access their home computers.

Thanks.
    Monday, November 23, 2009 3:15 PM

All replies

• No, there is no supported way to get Remote Desktop access through Windows Home Server's RDP proxy to operating systems that don't support it on their own. You can use third party tools such as Live Mesh for direct access to your home computers, however. There is also an (unsupported, probably violates several EULAs) hack for some OSes that don't support Remote Desktop access natively that will allow you to enable it on them, but even then Windows Home Server will not allow you to access them through the Remote Access web site, as it "knows" that e.g. Vista Home Premium doesn't support Remote Desktop access.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, November 23, 2009 3:25 PM