ATI Drivers - Frequent system resets due to WHS supplied ones RRS feed

• Question

• Numerous times over the last few days it seems WHS has rebooted itself (only just noticed going through Event Viewer after witnessing a crash).

Seems to have rebooted the box 3 or 4 times a day and it's down to the lack of ATI drivers provided by WHS.

Has anyone tried installing the proper Catalyst drivers on WHS? This is a Radeon X1050 by the way.
    Wednesday, February 28, 2007 10:05 PM

All replies

• My suggestion is to remove the ati drivers and reboot. When WHS wants to install drivers, don't let it. That should force it to use the standard VGA drivers, which are fine for a server.
    Wednesday, February 28, 2007 10:08 PM
  • That's my point. Install finds no drivers for either of 2 ATI cards I have tried now and thus installs the bog standard VGA driver.

My question really I guess is 'has anyone successfully installed any Catalyst drivers on WHS as I know it requires some hacks to do on Server 2003?'

I have just had another crash mid file copy which has screwed things up somewhat!

Thursday, March 1, 2007 7:59 PM
  • Bump as these random reboots are beginning to corrupt stuff .... anyone?
    Friday, March 2, 2007 12:04 PM
  • I'm saying you should leave the "bog standard" VGA driver in place. It's a headless network node; who cares if it's got great graphics acceleration?
    Friday, March 2, 2007 12:48 PM
  • I just signed up for this and am downloading the software.  I'll be playing with this over the weekend to get it setup.  I've got a Radeon 9800 Pro that Im going to be putting in this because it's an older card that is or should be compatibile with my system to be used as a server.  I understand that this is a server and isn't intended to be used or viewed from a workstation perspective, but here's my opinion.

This is being marketed as a home server.  People at home are very picky about appearances and want things to look nice.  I am not going to be playing games or doing much more than using this computer as a server of course, but I need to be able to access it, and want to be able to set it at the resolution I want, have a cool background or or screensaver that I want to match the cool case and design that matches the rest of my home setup.  Using crappy generic vga drivers and using low resolution lower bit colors is not very attractive to the home user.

So, I'll definitely be playing around with the graphical aspect to make sure my desktop and general environment looks cool as well as acts as a server.

Friday, March 2, 2007 3:32 PM
  • Yes, folks want stuff to look good, but I think you can get a good idea of what Microsoft sees as the primary sales channel from the installation documents. The last step in setup is to disconnect the keyboard, video, and mouse. So this is primarily a headless appliance. On the extremely rare occasion that a user would see the desktop, they would be using Remote Desktop, and there will be no video acceleration anyway.
    Friday, March 2, 2007 5:34 PM
  • My server has a ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 128 Mb in it, (my server used to be my old Game PC, a 4 year old Pentium 4), and I used the default Catalyst drivers without the CCC, and they worked fine. I don't need the control panel anyways, I just wanted to get a better resolution :D
    Friday, March 2, 2007 6:31 PM
  • Good to know that the catalyst drivers worked.  Also, that's what I was saying too.  The higher screen resolution is important.  I like to be able to have multiple windows open and control panels and things to see what's going on all at once.  Even if I remote into it, I want to be able to have enough space to open up windows and see what's going on if I want to.
    Friday, March 2, 2007 9:51 PM
  • Thanks for the replies so far.

My determination to use the ATI drivers is nothing to do with appearance. Just stability. I have now recorded 30 + random reboots over the last 5-6 days. Each one of them says that the device responsible was the display adapter. This is causing file corruption in some cases, has screwed a couple of backups up, and obviously is not very healthy for the system or my data!

The bog standard VGA driver is in use and is obviously not doing something right. I am guessing at this stage that it is something to do with power saving, and whether that is due to the graphics card not entering the right state, or the BIOS, or a number of other possibilities including nothing at all to do with the power saving... is something I am trying to narrow down.

The reason my prime suspect is the graphics driver (apart from the event viewer's evidence!) is that this mobo, cpu, gfx, etc has been happily working perfectly under windows xp for a couple of years, all the other hardware has real (as opposed to MS supplied) drivers installed and no errors related to them. The only thing without a 'real' driver is the Radeon

And the second point is that my concern is installation of ATI drivers. No catalyst package I have found will install. There are no entries in the inf file that support the OS and thus it refuses to install. Having said that I haven't tried driver only.... will do that once I have submitted this post :)

Update: Just tried driver only... same error

"INF Error No driver found"

Saturday, March 3, 2007 1:57 PM
  • I can confirm that the ATI drivers for Windows XP work fine with WHS, no reboots, everything runs stable.
    Saturday, March 3, 2007 7:06 PM
  • I swear i must be living on a different internet :)

Where the hell are you guys getting the drivers from that install properly?

I am trying with 6-11-pre-r300_xp-2k_dd_ccc_wdm_38185.exe from ati.com (well amd.com now!) but they refuse to install on WHS as they dont support win 2k3
    Saturday, March 3, 2007 9:31 PM