Microsoft MPI Unicode Arguments RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am currently trying to pass unicode characters to my MPI application.
    starting the application directly I receive the correct Unicode arguments, however when I use mpiexec -np2 MyApplication <some unicode> 
    the <some unicode> bit is transformed in question marks.

Based on https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt147726(v=vs.85).aspx MS MPI v7.1 (or newer?) should support Unicode characters in the command line. Is this also the case for the arguments? Or is this the wrong method to pass on Unicode characters to my application?

Additionally, I observed that -wdir does not seem to support a long UNC path (\\?\my path) is this correct?

Thank you in advance,

Geerit

Wednesday, February 1, 2017 1:21 PM

All replies

• Hi Geerit,

I tested locally with passing Unicode arguments to mpiexec and also saw the same behavior you were describing. We converted some internal functionality to use Unicode to support longer command line arguments in v7.1 but Unicode is still not fully supported. Due to mpiexec not being compiled as a wmain program, the arguments passed into mpiexec’s command line is converted to ANSI by the OS and thus the Unicode information is “lost”. We will look into addressing this in future releases of MS-MPI and will keep you updated

Thursday, February 2, 2017 12:42 AM