none
WHS No longer booting RRS feed

• Question

• Can anyone offer assistance with the following problem...

For whatever reason my WHS restart itself and when rebooting staying on the WHS loading screen with the bar going across in the middle. So I took the SYS drive out and ran a chkdsk /f on it using my PC

The chkdsk found problems and said it had fixed them all

So I put HDD back into my WHS and now it gets past the WHS loading screen to the blue desktop when I would normally be prompted to login and just sits there with no options. My mouse cursor is present and can move that about but do nothing else

How can I fix?

Thanks
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 12:16 PM

Answers

• Probably the issue with your server system drive damaged some critical system file or files. You can try a server reinstallation/recovery (depending on the age of your installation media). The basics are described in this FAQ .
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 12:31 PM

All replies

• Probably the issue with your server system drive damaged some critical system file or files. You can try a server reinstallation/recovery (depending on the age of your installation media). The basics are described in this FAQ .
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 12:31 PM
  • Ok so I popped the WHS server install CD into my server booted and only option I get is to 'install' I don't get a 're-install' option.

Looking around the net people suggest this could be resolved by deleting the partition however, my system hard disk is a 500Gb which has two volumes on it - 20GB SYS and 445GB DATA could I just delete the SYS volume run install again and will my data on the DATA volume say intact? or is there a chance that I will loose the data on that DATA partition if that makes sense? if so how do I just delete the SYS volume?

In other words could it be just as simple as deleting just the SYS volume installing as if from scratch and yet all files on the DATA volume will then be accessible again? Does that make sense?

Thanks
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 1:56 PM
  • Ok so I popped the WHS server install CD into my server booted and only option I get is to 'install' I don't get a 're-install' option.

Looking around the net people suggest this could be resolved by deleting the partition however, my system hard disk is a 500Gb which has two volumes on it - 20GB SYS and 445GB DATA could I just delete the SYS volume run install again and will my data on the DATA volume say intact? or is there a chance that I will loose the data on that DATA partition if that makes sense? if so how do I just delete the SYS volume?

In other words could it be just as simple as deleting just the SYS volume installing as if from scratch and yet all files on the DATA volume will then be accessible again? Does that make sense?

Thanks
    You might need to use diskpart to get rid of the OS partition.  (Just make sure you get rid of the correct partition when using diskpart.)
    Monday, February 15, 2010 3:09 AM
  • FYI

For anyone else who comes across this issue fastest way to get the reinstall option to show up is pull the power from all but the SYS hard drive in the WHS and like magical the reinstall option appears

WHS back up and running its only taken 4 days!! OMG!

Let's hope Vail does include options for backing up and restoring SYS!
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 12:22 PM
  • FYI

For anyone else who comes across this issue fastest way to get the reinstall option to show up is pull the power from all but the SYS hard drive in the WHS and like magical the reinstall option appears

WHS back up and running its only taken 4 days!! OMG!

Let's hope Vail does include options for backing up and restoring SYS!
    But if you do that, it won't re-integrate the secondary drives.
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 9:16 PM