Trying to Get Genuine!!! RRS feed

• Question

• I am receiving a message on my computer that my XP may not be genuine. My computer was rebuilt by thi person, and I figure he put bad software on my computer. I thought I could reinstall the Windows ME that came with the computer and install the upgrade, but it will not take the reinstall CD. I recently purchased XP home version, but received the XP pro upgrade in the mail. Instead of sending it back I figured I could re install Windows ME and install the upgrade, buit the computer is not reading the reinstallation disk. Now I am lost. Should I erase the hard drive, reinstall the Win ME, and install the upgrade; or send the upgrade back and install the complete version of XP? Also, will the computer accept the installation of XP?
    Wednesday, July 26, 2006 10:35 PM

Answers

• Jocr13,

Please try the CD you received in several other computers.  If several computers cannot read the contents of the CD, then it's a pretty good assumption that the CD is defective and should be returned to where you purchased it.

If all the computers but yours can read the CD, then your CDROM drive is defective or not installed properly.

Older CDROM drives can read all manufactured CDs but some have trouble reading burned CDs.  Also, some older CD drives can read CDs fine but cannot boot a computer.  Is this what you are trying to say?

Thursday, July 27, 2006 2:25 AM