Recovery of deleted files on shared folders RRS feed

• Question

• Hiya,

I know there is an earlier thread ending that there will be no recycle bin for the WHS shared folders.  At the time, however, going to properties under the shared folders allowed the use of the previous versions tab.  When I went there under RC1, no tab comes up.

Is this a feature change or a problem with my install?

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks

Thursday, June 14, 2007 4:40 PM

Answers

• WIndows Home Server takes "snapshots" of your Shared Folders every 12 hours.  You can use the "Previous Versions" option on a Windows PC to see a listing of files and folders from previous dates and times. 

Not all versions of Windows Client operating system support "Previous Versions".   

Windows XP

The Previous Versions UI is available by right clicking on a Shared Folder (e.g. Software) on the home server and then selecting "Properties".  If you see a "Previous Versions" tab - then click on it.

Windows Vista

The Previous Versions UI is available by right clicking on a Shared Folder (e.g. Software) on the home server and then you should see an option "Previous Versions" - dependent upon which version of Windows Vista you are using.

Thursday, June 14, 2007 10:54 PM

All replies

• It's not a feature change.

What OS / SP is your client computer running?

Thursday, June 14, 2007 8:12 PM
  • WIndows Home Server takes "snapshots" of your Shared Folders every 12 hours.  You can use the "Previous Versions" option on a Windows PC to see a listing of files and folders from previous dates and times. 

Not all versions of Windows Client operating system support "Previous Versions".   

Windows XP

The Previous Versions UI is available by right clicking on a Shared Folder (e.g. Software) on the home server and then selecting "Properties".  If you see a "Previous Versions" tab - then click on it.

Windows Vista

The Previous Versions UI is available by right clicking on a Shared Folder (e.g. Software) on the home server and then you should see an option "Previous Versions" - dependent upon which version of Windows Vista you are using.

Thursday, June 14, 2007 10:54 PM
  • Thanks,

I have different O/S's (mostly XP Pro, XP Media Center, and Vista Home Premium).  On all versions if I go into WHS console and right click on a shared folder (for example photos), and right click I get a menu of:

1) Properties, 2) Open, 3) Remove (greyed out for photos), and 4) View History.

If I then go into properties, I have one tab for General and another for user access, but nothing for previous versions.  The RC1 build has been running over 12 hours although I haven't deleted anything within the last 12 hours (added though).

thanks again for the help

Friday, June 15, 2007 4:15 AM