Is it possible to buy a subscription although you do not live in a supported country? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I live in Denmark, where Onecare is not available. I can change my language preferences in Internet Explorer, so I am able to go to the subscription page. But my question is: Will my subscription work?

- Allan

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 9:08 AM

Answers

• Changing your IE language should not let you proceed with activation if OneCare is not available in your country, which it isn't for Denmark. If it lets you proceed, you probably can't use a credit card, but you may be able to use a retail key. If you are able to activate a subscription it will work anywhere in the world on a supported OS language.

-steve

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 1:00 PM
  • I believe that the reason it is limited to specific countries is due to issues with licensing, support, and billing. I don't know the specifics, though.

The best I can provide is an *unsupported* workaround for you:

In which countries and languages is Windows Live OneCare available?

The Windows Live OneCare subscription service is available in the following countries and languages: Australia (English), Austria (German), Belgium (Dutch, French), Canada (English, French), France (French), Germany (German), Ireland (English), Italy (Italian), Japan (Japanese), Mexico (Spanish), Netherlands (Dutch), New Zealand (English), Singapore (English), Spain (Spanish), Switzerland (French, German), United Kingdom (English), United States (English, Spanish).

Pasted from <http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/faq.htm>

Now, as long as your language is supported - that is the operating system language, you can use the unsupported, not sanctioned by Microsoft workaround to activate your subscription. At the end of 12 months, if OneCare is still not available in our country, then you will need to repeat the process below or a variation of it to renew with a product key.

Create a new LiveID with a US (or other country on the above list) address. Contact a trusted friend in the country you used to create your LiveID and provide that person with the LiveID, Password, and a OneCare product key - or they will need to buy OneCare for you and use the product key from the retail box. Have them log in with the LiveID at http://onecare.live.com/activate and use the option to activate with a token using the product key from inside the retail box. They will not be installing OneCare and cannot use the key again.

Once that has been completed, change the password on the LiveID. (You can only trust people so far...) Then open OneCare on your PC and activate it with the LiveID used to create the subscription. Note that you can use a friend in any country where OneCare is available for sale per the above list. Reinstalls and installs to the 2nd and 3rd PC do not perform the check for IP and language (at this time, at least), so you won't need to repeat the process again.

I will remind you that the above is not an approved workaround and the process may cease working at any time.

-steve

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 8:06 PM

All replies

• Changing your IE language should not let you proceed with activation if OneCare is not available in your country, which it isn't for Denmark. If it lets you proceed, you probably can't use a credit card, but you may be able to use a retail key. If you are able to activate a subscription it will work anywhere in the world on a supported OS language.

-steve

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 1:00 PM
  • Well, I tried to change my language settings to UK... and I got to the page, where I write my credit card information and my billing address. But the "country" in the billing address was locked to United Kingdom. So I can not subscribe. Sad

I really do not understand why they do not make it available for everyone? I use an english version of Vista, so there should not be any problems at all.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 7:48 PM
  • I believe that the reason it is limited to specific countries is due to issues with licensing, support, and billing. I don't know the specifics, though.

The best I can provide is an *unsupported* workaround for you:

In which countries and languages is Windows Live OneCare available?

The Windows Live OneCare subscription service is available in the following countries and languages: Australia (English), Austria (German), Belgium (Dutch, French), Canada (English, French), France (French), Germany (German), Ireland (English), Italy (Italian), Japan (Japanese), Mexico (Spanish), Netherlands (Dutch), New Zealand (English), Singapore (English), Spain (Spanish), Switzerland (French, German), United Kingdom (English), United States (English, Spanish).

Pasted from <http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/faq.htm>

Now, as long as your language is supported - that is the operating system language, you can use the unsupported, not sanctioned by Microsoft workaround to activate your subscription. At the end of 12 months, if OneCare is still not available in our country, then you will need to repeat the process below or a variation of it to renew with a product key.

Create a new LiveID with a US (or other country on the above list) address. Contact a trusted friend in the country you used to create your LiveID and provide that person with the LiveID, Password, and a OneCare product key - or they will need to buy OneCare for you and use the product key from the retail box. Have them log in with the LiveID at http://onecare.live.com/activate and use the option to activate with a token using the product key from inside the retail box. They will not be installing OneCare and cannot use the key again.

Once that has been completed, change the password on the LiveID. (You can only trust people so far...) Then open OneCare on your PC and activate it with the LiveID used to create the subscription. Note that you can use a friend in any country where OneCare is available for sale per the above list. Reinstalls and installs to the 2nd and 3rd PC do not perform the check for IP and language (at this time, at least), so you won't need to repeat the process again.

I will remind you that the above is not an approved workaround and the process may cease working at any time.

-steve

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 8:06 PM
  • Thanks for the answer.

I do not think I will use this possibility. It is too much work just for subscribing to an antivirus program. I will just find a free one instead. Microsoft will loose another customer due too their user-unfriendly way of doing things... I do not get it. Why do they have to make everything so complicated? It also took me a lot of time just to find this place, where I could find an answer.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 9:17 PM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:

Changing your IE language should not let you proceed with activation if OneCare is not available in your country, which it isn't for Denmark. If it lets you proceed, you probably can't use a credit card, but you may be able to use a retail key. If you are able to activate a subscription it will work anywhere in the world on a supported OS language.

-steve

Hi Stephen

When I'm directed to buy the product I have to choose a state in the U.S. can I purches this product in Ireland

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 10:40 PM
  •  Albjerre wrote:

Thanks for the answer.

I do not think I will use this possibility. It is too much work just for subscribing to an antivirus program. I will just find a free one instead. Microsoft will loose another customer due too their user-unfriendly way of doing things... I do not get it. Why do they have to make everything so complicated? It also took me a lot of time just to find this place, where I could find an answer.

What's user unfriendly about it? It isn't available in all countries. If you are located where it isn't available, then you would want to look at alternatives. I wish that I could tell you that OneCare was available worldwide without restriction, but that just isn't the case.

-steve

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 1:03 PM
  •  adcoolie wrote:

Hi Stephen

When I'm directed to buy the product I have to choose a state in the U.S. can I purches this product in Ireland

Yes, OneCare is available in Ireland - listed as the United Kingdom.

If you are getting a payment page for US, there have been 2 previous reports this week for this problem, but I don't know if either has been resolved. In one case it was a UK user getting a US form and in the other it was a user in Australia getting the UK form.

Check the profile information for your LiveID at http://account.live.com and also at http://billing.microsoft.com, if that ID already has a Billing account associated with it. Make sure that your correct address is shown.

Make sure that your language setting in Internet Explorer is set correctly for your physical location.

Clear your temporary Internet files and cookies in IE and close the browser.

Try to activate and purchase again. If it still gives you the US form, the best I can offer is for you to open an email support case - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

*or* pick up a retail copy of OneCare (and maybe save some money, if you can get it at a discount) and use the key inside the package to activate.

-steve

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 1:09 PM