CRM Outlook Data Encryption Error RRS feed

• Question

• In the Dynamics Outlook Plugin I am trying to set the default to be to track all mails to/from contacts. 

When I select CRM -> File -> CRM ->Options I’m getting the following error:

Data Encryption Error

There are encrypted fields in the organisation database, but the data encryption feature isn't activated.

I’ve run through the settings on the CRM where it’s confirmed that the encryption in inactive.

The organisation database was originally in CRM 2011 and was imported into a new CRM 2013 instance.  What is this and what needs to be done to clear the error?

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 8:21 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Can you verify in your CRM weather Encryption key is activated or not !!

CRM > Settings > Data Management > Data Encryption

(you will able to see in HTTPS only, with admin user)

If your CRM Encryption Key is not available or not showing then your need to go for upgrade again from CRM 2011.

Thanks,

Vinay Kumar.

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 9:39 AM
  • Sorry for the delay in getting back.

Anyway, looked in Dynamics and have seen that the encryption key is not active.  All the fields are blank.

This upgrade happened some time ago so it will not be possible to re-run the upgrade.  The old system should still be available though.

We only seem to be seeing the issue in the Outlook Plugin when we try to track all emails.  I don't understand what is going on under the hood here. 

Are we suspecting that some encryption has been transferred from the old 2011 system but hasn't properly installed into 2013?  or is there another issue at play here?

Should I set a new key or can I extract the old key from 2011 is it exists?

(I should add that this is on-premise and using HTTPS)
    • Edited by Gordon Johnston Friday, May 9, 2014 8:59 AM Additional information
    Friday, May 9, 2014 8:58 AM
  • Having had a look around the web it should be possible to retrieve the key from the original 2011 system and type it into the "Activate Encryption Key" box?

Continuing to look but as I don't have a 2011 instance in front of me does anyone have a link or instructions that show how to get the key string from 2011?

OR

Do I just need to enter a new key "Activate Encryption Key".  I think it may be possible that there was no key on 2011.  I won't know until the box is restored.

I am worried about trying the latter as presumably it will mess things up further if there is an existing key in the database somehow.

Friday, May 9, 2014 9:36 AM
  • You can find lot of details here for the same issue !!

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/90548fbc-44e7-4b77-b653-600ea5b676cd/crm-2013-cannot-open-sql-encryption-symmetric-key-?forum=crmdevelopment

Vinay Kumar.

Friday, May 9, 2014 3:32 PM