WINDOWS OR OFFICE / WHICH SHOULD COME FIRST RRS feed

• Question

• Well this is what I need to do..........plan to purchase xp pro retail version thru MS validation site and have purchased a retail version copy of 2007 Home & Student MS Office.

Hope this is not a stupid question!!

My question is this............Is there an optimal order by which these programs should be installed / validated.

What I am getting at is whether I should purchase & validate windows first then clean install the new MS Office.

Or clean install first then purchase genuine key & validate my xp pro.

Is there an optimal order by which these should be done? 

Thanks in advance for any input.

rcmillsap

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 4:26 PM

Answers

• RCmillsap,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Forum.  The purpose of this forum is the support of Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program.  Your question is off topic but will provide some insight.

Hmmm....Interesting question. Please review the following Knowledge Based (KB) article titled Install Windows XP:  http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/winxp/install.mspx . After the installation has been completed there is another link providing guidance for Computer Setup and Maintenancehttp://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/default.mspx.

I would be run antivirus on your system. Personally I run it more than once but this would be user preference. Next ensure all your files, pictures etc have been backed up and offloaded to either an external hard drive or burned onto a CD or DVD-Rom. Verify a second time ensuring all is backed up.

Now for the fun part. Performing the actual fresh installation. Read the KB article and follow the instructions and volia' installation is complete. The last step would be installing Office, validating, and installing all the security updates. 

Hope this provides some information.  Thank you

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 8:44 PM