none
Valiadation of reinstalation XP Pro RRS feed

• Question

• I'm sure this is a common issue based on my experiences trying to valiadate a reinstalation but in my case a little something different.

Ok, my situlation is as follows;

Harricane Ike (I'm located in the Houston TX area), back last september took out my PC, extreme water damage!  Having all my paper files, software, drivers etc in a locked up in fire/waterproof file cabinet I still have my XP Pro Manual along with the reinstall operating sys CD which does have a barcode plain white sticker attached to the manual/CD sleeve.  However the colored MS label that was attached to my damaged beyond repair PC has been trashed - thrown away. 

The original PC was a Dell.  I replaced it with an Emachine but it had EX Home installed.  So, liking the XP Pro, I used the EX Pro to reinstall-replace the home version.   The reinstallation went well but the desk top is showing a MS message stating that I need to valadate the reinstall.   The white label showing the Bar Code with what I thought was the product key does not have enought letters/numbers to finish the insert Key boxes on line.  I'm thinking the white labeling is showing a mfr's MS licences for production installs....

So, what do I do to be legal?

Thanks, for any help in this regard!
    • Moved by JeniferA Tuesday, March 3, 2009 4:41 PM XP Pro reinstallation (Moved from Feedback and Comments to Windows XP Genuine Advantage Validation Issues (Windows XP))
    Monday, March 2, 2009 7:10 PM

Answers

• AJ Moritz,

You are not permitted by the End User Licensing Agreement to install the original Dell-supplied Windows XP Pro Operating System onto any other computer, let alone on an eMachines computer.

When the Dell computer became "beyond repair" the license for XP Pro that came with the computer became useless.

Please use the Recovery Solution that came with the computer from eMachines to put back the eMachines installation of XP Home back onto the eMachines computer.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Wednesday, March 4, 2009 9:59 PM
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 5:00 AM