ANOTHER VIRUS!! RRS feed

• General discussion

•  HOW DO I GET MY MONEY BACK FOR THIS PROGRAM I BOUGHT!! I AM FURIOUS! THIS IS THE THIRD TROJAN IN 2 MONTHS!! I NOW HAVE THIS ON MY PC!!
    http://www.virusremovalguru.com/?p=741

God, this is getting ridiculous. I have already had to reformat my PC twice and this is our NEW OFFICE PC with lots of important data on it!!
    • Changed type KokoBaby Thursday, January 15, 2009 3:31 PM
    • Moved by Stephen BootsMVP, Moderator Thursday, January 15, 2009 4:03 PM virus infection issue (Moved from Windows Live OneCare General to Windows Live OneCare Anti-Virus)
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 6:26 PM

All replies

• I have just uninstalled Windows Live One. I refuse to use this program again. I was really impressed with it during the trial and then all of a sudden, I am getting backdoor trojans. My power went out today around 12:15 p.m. for about 3-4 minutes. The PC restarted and then Live One asked if I wanted to Allow or Block prunnet.exe. Thank God, I blocked it. Then I went to Google and looked it up. I scanned for the file on my PC and found it, deleted it. Then I went to CONTROL+ALT+DEL and it was running in my Processes, it was also in my Start Up twice!!

I just got a FREE 1 year Trial for PC Tools Internet Security. Man, does this program have EVERYTHING!!
    It's scanning right now, and has already found the following:

6 Threats and 257 Infections!!

Trojan.Virtumonde (4 Infections)
    Trojan-Downloader.Agent (2 Infections)
    Adware.WindowEnhancer (242 Infections)
    Application.PopCap (7 Infections)
    Spyware.Known_Bad_Sites (1 Infection)

I highly recommend this program. WestPac is offering it for FREE for 1 Year!
    It will also protect up to 3 computers.
    It comes with 2009 Internet Security, PC Tools Firewall Plus and a Browser Defender Toolbar

http://www.westpac.com.au/internet/publish.nsf/Content/WISE+PCtools+Security+Software#

[deleted support contact information]

Hope this helps!
    Good luck!

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 7:43 PM
  • KokoBaby said:

HOW DO I GET MY MONEY BACK FOR THIS PROGRAM I BOUGHT!! I AM FURIOUS! THIS IS THE THIRD TROJAN IN 2 MONTHS!! I NOW HAVE THIS ON MY PC!!
    http://www.virusremovalguru.com/?p=741

God, this is getting ridiculous. I have already had to reformat my PC twice and this is our NEW OFFICE PC with lots of important data on it!!

If you are using Windows Live OneCare and you have been infected, but OneCare did not detect or cannot remove the malware, please contact support to report this and for help with removal.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

If you are in North America, you can call 866-727-2338 for help with virus and spyware infections. See http://www.microsoft.com/protect/support/default.mspx  for details.  For international information, see your local subsidiary Support site.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 4:02 PM
  • I agree with Koko.  This program seems to be absolute garbage.  I used the free trial and left it running all the time.  Today, just to check things out, I ran a different anti-virus software and apparently not only did OneCare not even bother to let me know anything was wrong, but I guess doesn't even notice?  According to OneCare my system is fine, and according to MBAM I've got all sorts of fun things sneaking around on my computer.

Two thumbs down, Microsoft.
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 11:36 PM
  • I did call the number and it was immediately credited back to my credit card. Thank you for posting the information though. It's a shame that this program wasn't all it was thought to be in the beginning. I honestly thought it was a good program in the beginning. I felt safe that it was also from Microsoft. I am very happy with the PC Tools 2009 Internet Security. This program has alerted me to every little thing that goes on with my PC. I especially LOVE the "Browser Defender". I HIGHLY recommend this to anyone that is looking for a good secure program. I've never seen SO MANY protective devices on an Anti-Virus program before. It's FREE for 1 Year, thanks to West Pac.

PS: I did report the infection to Windows Live One Care before I did anything.

Koko
    Friday, January 16, 2009 4:11 AM
  • I have a QUESTION?????

Why would the moderator deliberately DELETE all the worldwide phone numbers for contacting Windows Live One Care so that they can easily get their subscription cancelled? I posted it all here today and it says in my original post that you deleted it? WHY???

Don't you want your customers to have that information without having to jump through hoops like I did to get it? That just doesn't seem like good customer service to me at all... NOT GOOD.

I even posted a new thread asking the moderators to put that at the top of the list with a *STICKY NOTE* so that people could find it easily. I bet that was deleted too. (Sigh)

I'm glad I don't have to deal with this anymore. I'm done with Microsoft...

Peace
    Friday, January 16, 2009 4:17 AM
  • Because Microsoft has asked that the phone numbers *not* be allowed to remain in the forum. Providing telephone support is expensive. And, phone support is valid only for subscribers.
    I agree that the validation process stinks and does not always work. I wish that there was an easier way to obtain the support contact information through an easier validation process or something similar, but for now we have to deal with the process as it stands. Note that I've complained about the process for a very long time, but I understand Microsoft's point. If phone support were provided free to all users, the cost of a OneCare subscription would probably have been set higher.
    If you read my reply to your other post on the issue yesterday, made after I deleted your posts, Jim and I both offer to hook people up with support if they email us with the country information and a link to their thread in the forum.
    -steve
    Friday, January 16, 2009 4:19 PM
  • KokoBaby said:

I did call the number and it was immediately credited back to my credit card. Thank you for posting the information though. It's a shame that this program wasn't all it was thought to be in the beginning. I honestly thought it was a good program in the beginning. I felt safe that it was also from Microsoft. I am very happy with the PC Tools 2009 Internet Security. This program has alerted me to every little thing that goes on with my PC. I especially LOVE the "Browser Defender". I HIGHLY recommend this to anyone that is looking for a good secure program. I've never seen SO MANY protective devices on an Anti-Virus program before. It's FREE for 1 Year, thanks to West Pac.

PS: I did report the infection to Windows Live One Care before I did anything.

Koko

I'm sorry that your PC was infected and that OneCare wasn't able to detect, block or remove the infection that you encountered. I am glad, however, that you were able to get a refund easily and that you have proceeded to obtain other security software that you are more comfortable with.

Note that no security software is perfect, but that still doesn't make it any less important for OneCare (and the other security software from Microsoft based on the same Antimalware signature data) to get better at detection and removal.
    -steve
    Friday, January 16, 2009 4:22 PM
  • savantgarde said:

I agree with Koko.  This program seems to be absolute garbage.  I used the free trial and left it running all the time.  Today, just to check things out, I ran a different anti-virus software and apparently not only did OneCare not even bother to let me know anything was wrong, but I guess doesn't even notice?  According to OneCare my system is fine, and according to MBAM I've got all sorts of fun things sneaking around on my computer.

Two thumbs down, Microsoft.

If OneCare was in green status and didn't alert you to an infection, then it didn't notice. That is unfortunate, but without knowing what MBAM reported as being on your PC, I can't say that it was all malware.
    -steve
    Friday, January 16, 2009 4:23 PM