none
Spellcheck in Office 2016 and he use of the personal pronoun "I" capitalization RRS feed

• Question

• This is probably one of the most common typos i make and also the most annoying as it is not automatically fixed by spell-check even though i have made repeated efforts to set ever possible option to  do so.

Even here in this forum, every place i used "i" as a personal pronoun, it always stays as lowercase even though this is absolutely incorrect.  I understand that the forum is not checked or managed by spell-check in Office but i wanted to show examples of what i mean.

Worse yet, the toolkit that pops up indicates that spellcheck KNOWS the lowercase i should be a capital I but if i tell it to set this as the default fix, i get a message telling me that it already IS the default fix and asks if i wanted to change it.  

It doesn't help to select change and enter the same info that is already there, it still refuses to auto correct that one typo.  Is there ANYTHING I can do to fix this?  I have posted before about this problem over the years but apparently No One Knows?  Hard to believe.  I am sure there MUST be some reason why Spell-check fails to auto-correct this one item even though it comes preset in Office by default.

I am hoping that enough time has passed that somebody can tell me how to avoid having to go back and manually correct every instance of using the personal pronoun if I forget to CAP it when typed.

• Moved by Bill_Stewart Wednesday, September 5, 2018 9:00 PM Off-topic
    Sunday, July 1, 2018 7:55 PM

All replies

• Sorry but this is not a support forum.  You will need to post here: http://answers.microsoft.com to get help with configuring or fixing your Windows system.

For grammar corrections and spell check you must enable these features.  Post to above link for help with your version of Windows.

\_(ツ)_/

Sunday, July 1, 2018 8:00 PM
  • thanks will do.

and since i got desperate today i went through and manually set every possible instance for a lowercase i  I---INCLUDING -- the numeric functions  since "i" is sometimes acceptable and even intended.  Not for ME so..I added that one too and i THINK maybe i found the culprit.   I just wrote a long email with multiple lowercase typos for "I" and every one of them auto-corrected :)  

Of course, it still doesn't help on the forums :(

Sunday, July 1, 2018 8:42 PM