Xp Pro Installation Valididity/Activation Dell CD/COA Problems RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased two copies of Xp Pro(SP3) 1-2 cpu CD/COA sets on Ebay. The first copy consisted of a Dell Resinstallation cd and Dell OEM COA clean installed on my Dell Dimension 4300 desktop with no problem at all and downloaded all Dell drivers and updates, security essentials, etc. No activation was necessary as it was an OEM distribution copy and pre-activated.

The second copy was different. There was a Dell Reinstallation CD as in the first copy but the COA was silver/blue instead of green with no OEM identified. Maybe retail version? So I'm not sure if the OEM CD matches the COA on this one anyway. However, be that as it may, I attempted to clean install this copy on an IBMT43 laptop with a blank drive and during setup there was an error(disk reading?) and setup could not download needed files even though the machine was connected directly to the internet(no router). Since there was an error during setup,  I reinstalled with the CD from the first set thinking the cds were generic which during the setup asked for product key which I deferred to 30 days. I was able to get on the web by downloading the ethernet driver on a flash drive and installing on the IBM after which I was able to download all the IBM drivers and features not available from Windows. Now I realize that what I might have done was to use the 1-2 cpu feature of the first disk which requires activation.

Question is where do I go from here since my original intention was to have Dell and IBM separate entities. Do I activate using Dell COA? or can I activate using the second copy? In addition, the T43 laptop alson has a Leonova OEM COA which I suspect was licensed from a corporate entity. Is this valid?

I know this sounds like the PEPSI challenge but its really very simple. I think the problem is the CD/COA which, by the way, was from the same seller on Ebay.

Help Please time is running out!

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Editor Friday, May 6, 2011 2:51 PM Moved to more appropriate forum category (From:Genuine Benefits)
    Friday, May 6, 2011 3:18 AM

Answers

• Hello gkfly,

Neither of the two products you purchased on eBay will yield a genuine installation of Windows XP.  As Noel noted, you may be able to convince activation reps to activate the one on the IBM, and the the one installed on the Dell Dim 4300 self activated because it is an OEM/SLP product installed on the correct manufacturer's computer, but neither is a properly licensed installation.

Here's why:

1.  The first disc set you purchased was a Dell OEM SLP OS reinstallation disc plus a Dell branded Certificate of Authenticity (CoA).  It self-activated because it was installed on a Dell Dim 4300 computer with the BIOS marker and certificate still intact.  That's all well and good except for one thing---the sale of a CoA without a computer attached to it, is a federal offense (at least in the USA).  An illegally acquired CoA cannot yield a genuine installation.

2.  The second disc "set" you purchased was not a set at all, it was a combination of what sounds like a systembuilder/OEM CoA (as there is no computer manufacturer listed on the CoA, it just says "OEM software" or "OEM product"), plus a Dell OEM SLP OS Reinstallation disc.  (Not a retail version as retail CoA do not have product keys printed on them.)  This "set" cannot yield a genuine installation for two reasons:  (a) firstly the same as above, the sale of a standalone CoA being illegal, that CoA cannot yield a genuine installation; and (b) you can't use a Dell OS reinstallation CD and expect it to work on a non-Dell computer.

Does the Dim 4300 computer have a CoA affixed to it, besides the one that you purchased with the disc?

----If Yes, then it is licensed to run the version and edition of Windows that is described on the CoA.  If the edition of XP on the CoA happens to be the same as the edition of the Dell OS reinstallation disc you got from eBay, then the computer's proper and genuine license is represented by its original CoA and not represented by the CoA that was sold illegally on eBay.  If possible, contact eBay for a refund as the sale was illegal.

----If No, if there is no CoA on the Dim 4300, or it's for some other version of Windows, or it's for XP but it's for an edition of XP different from the Dell OS Reinstallation disc, then the computer STILL does not have a proper license for XP even though it's installed and activated.  Remember that the CoA you purchased cannot yield a genuine installation of XP.  And regardless of whether the Dell OS reinstallation disc works to install and activate Windows on the computer, if that version or edition are not the same as what was on the CoA original to the computer, then the computer does not have a genuine license.

You did mention that the IBM computer has a CoA for XP Pro.  The correct thing to do is to contact IBM support to order recovery discs for this computer, which will result in a genuine installation of Windows on the computer.

I think you are also making a bad assumption regarding the notation of XP Professional CoAs that states "1-2 CPU."  This does NOT mean that you are permitted to install that XP license on two computers at the same time.  It means that the operating system is licensed to be installed on one computer, and that one computer may have up to two Central Processing Units (CPUs, another term for the main processor inside the computer).  At the time XP was released, high-end workstations in the graphics and financial analysis fields often used a motherboard that had two processor chips installed for higher performance, and that notation on the CoA covers the use of XP Pro on these two-processor workstations.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 2:43 PM

All replies

• A Dell Windows XP Reinstallation CD is designed and licensed for use only on a Dell computer.  It is BIOS-locked to specific Dell motherboards and thus self-activates.  It will not install properly or activate on a non-Dell computer.  In fact, A Dell Windows XP Reinstallation CD is only supposed to be sold with the original Dell computer it originally shipped with and not sold separately as a standalone item.  In order to fix your issue with the IBM computer, you'll need to contact IBM support and ask if they have a replacement Windows recovery disc available.

Carey Frisch
    Friday, May 6, 2011 2:58 PM
  • The IBM machine is an off-lease machine which as received had HD wiped and Lenovo OEM XP Pro(SP2?). An IBM recovery disk is available(at cost). Currently, the product key on the installed copy is Dell XP Pro(SP3) but could it be updated(update tool) for either the Lenovo or my unused(unactivated) SP3 COA(blue/silver 1-2 CPU with no mfr)and then activated? If I use the Lenovo with Lenovo cd or otherwise activate that product key could I then upgrade to SP3?

Please let me know as I only have 12 days left. Also, my machine is fully configured and registered with Lenovo with full features, ie ThinkVantage, powermanager, etc. and I would like to keep my settings and the resources ie Security Essentials that Microsoft Genuine offers.

Thanks in advance.

gkfly

Gardner K Flynn
    Monday, May 9, 2011 2:50 PM
  • The IBM machine is an off-lease machine which as received had HD wiped and Lenovo OEM XP Pro(SP2?). An IBM recovery disk is available(at cost). Currently, the product key on the installed copy is Dell XP Pro(SP3) but could it be updated(update tool) for either the Lenovo or my unused(unactivated) SP3 COA(blue/silver 1-2 CPU with no mfr)and then activated? If I use the Lenovo with Lenovo cd or otherwise activate that product key could I then upgrade to SP3?

Please let me know as I only have 12 days left. Also, my machine is fully configured and registered with Lenovo with full features, ie ThinkVantage, powermanager, etc. and I would like to keep my settings and the resources ie Security Essentials that Microsoft Genuine offers.

Thanks in advance.

gkfly

Gardner K Flynn

You may be able to use the Product Key Update tool to 'genuinise' your current installation using the COA sticker Key - the only way to find out is to try it and see. You will probably have to activate by telephone.

You would be better to use the proper Lenovo recovery disks if they are available, as they will have proper drivers and support applications for your machine, rather than a potentially non-functional or worse set from Dell. You could use the FAST system to transfer the settings from the current installation to the new one, but you'd have to reinstall all the applications.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Monday, May 9, 2011 3:01 PM
  • When you say COA sticker key one I purchased and/or Lenovo sticker on machine?

As far as drivers I agree except that I used site IT guy on Toms Hardware uses and even includes a configuration tool and System Update in start up programs except he would use IBM disks.

What is FAST system?

Thanks.

Gardner K Flynn
    Monday, May 9, 2011 3:50 PM
  • When you say COA sticker key one I purchased and/or Lenovo sticker on machine?

As far as drivers I agree except that I used site IT guy on Toms Hardware uses and even includes a configuration tool and System Update in start up programs except he would use IBM disks.

What is FAST system?

Thanks.

Gardner K Flynn

The COA sticker on the machine.

The FAST system is the Files And Settings Transfer system - the forerunner of Win7's WET (Windows Easy Transfer) system - it transfers settings  and some of the users data from one install of Windows XP to another. Look in the System tools section of your Accessories folder.

--

Monday, May 9, 2011 4:14 PM
  • I will can using the Product Key Update tool using the machine COA, however, doesn't the machine COA have to be the same version that is running?

I do have an unused key which is SP3. Will I be able to update and activate using that key if the machine key fails?

Thanks.

Gardner K Flynn
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 8:37 PM
  • I will can using the Product Key Update tool using the machine COA, however, doesn't the machine COA have to be the same version that is running?

I do have an unused key which is SP3. Will I be able to update and activate using that key if the machine key fails?

Thanks.

Gardner K Flynn

Keys are (almost) independent of the Service Pack level of the OS . The only exception I am aware of are some keys that were made available for XP SP3 that will not work in earlier SP level installs.

So - even if your Key is valid in 'Gold/RTM' XP, it will still be valid in SP1,2, or 3.

If your 'unused key' is a valid Retail one, there should be no problem.
    If it's an OEM Key, then I would advise against using it in this case, since it would become locked to this PC, which would mean that effectively, this PC has two licenses, only one of which can be used. If the Key is an COA_SLP type Key (i.e. preinstalled in another computer with a COA sticker), then it's not valid on anything other than the original PC anyhow (even if you manage to persuade the Activation people to give you the activation code).

--

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 10:32 PM
  • Thank you for responding on the issue of COA/key usage. In this thread I had used another Dell cd/COA set on my Dell Dimension 4300 desktop updated BIOS Dell dlm did the rest. The set as received was in a a Dell sleeve and Dell P/N. It installed flawlessly on wiped hd set as master and old hd set as slave using max partition space on master drive so that I would be able to access the original data/os as a logical drive without having to transfer. This machine had a Dell Win Me COA so theoretically this machine has two OEM licenses both of which are Dell? I know this is an issue with many people who used existing COA on machine to install new hardware. In my case, I wanted to upgrade, get more physical space and a clean install was the best route. Please comment.

The IBMT43 clean install of Win Xp Pro copy was installed using the cd from the above since the other cd from the cd\COA set from the same Ebay vendor did not install completly. Interestingly enough, the i386 folder,unattend file has identical product key for both cds. The MSADiag on the running IBM copy shows the product key and validation code 1 and 2 - OEM_SLP which looks like I'm using one of the 2 cpu copies allowed on a single machine. Since this is another machine, I assume I would need to run Product Update Key before activation and I probably will need to use phone during the activation process. In addition, the MSADiag on running copies shows the same last 15 digits on both Dell and IBM machines.

To recap, I will run Product Update Key using the COA from the IBM and then activate today. The other COA that I have is a blue/silver hologram certificate 1-2 CPU with no manufacturer. Is it a VL with no mfr or what?The reason I am asking is I have another IBM(T30) I would like to install Xp Pro as the current Win 2000 has so many errors I want to boot and nuke it and get IBM recovery disk anyway for both machines.

Like your site, just visited but would like to participate later. Thanks again, Gardner

Gardner K Flynn
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 1:50 PM
  • Hello gkfly,

Neither of the two products you purchased on eBay will yield a genuine installation of Windows XP.  As Noel noted, you may be able to convince activation reps to activate the one on the IBM, and the the one installed on the Dell Dim 4300 self activated because it is an OEM/SLP product installed on the correct manufacturer's computer, but neither is a properly licensed installation.

Here's why:

1.  The first disc set you purchased was a Dell OEM SLP OS reinstallation disc plus a Dell branded Certificate of Authenticity (CoA).  It self-activated because it was installed on a Dell Dim 4300 computer with the BIOS marker and certificate still intact.  That's all well and good except for one thing---the sale of a CoA without a computer attached to it, is a federal offense (at least in the USA).  An illegally acquired CoA cannot yield a genuine installation.

2.  The second disc "set" you purchased was not a set at all, it was a combination of what sounds like a systembuilder/OEM CoA (as there is no computer manufacturer listed on the CoA, it just says "OEM software" or "OEM product"), plus a Dell OEM SLP OS Reinstallation disc.  (Not a retail version as retail CoA do not have product keys printed on them.)  This "set" cannot yield a genuine installation for two reasons:  (a) firstly the same as above, the sale of a standalone CoA being illegal, that CoA cannot yield a genuine installation; and (b) you can't use a Dell OS reinstallation CD and expect it to work on a non-Dell computer.

Does the Dim 4300 computer have a CoA affixed to it, besides the one that you purchased with the disc?

----If Yes, then it is licensed to run the version and edition of Windows that is described on the CoA.  If the edition of XP on the CoA happens to be the same as the edition of the Dell OS reinstallation disc you got from eBay, then the computer's proper and genuine license is represented by its original CoA and not represented by the CoA that was sold illegally on eBay.  If possible, contact eBay for a refund as the sale was illegal.

----If No, if there is no CoA on the Dim 4300, or it's for some other version of Windows, or it's for XP but it's for an edition of XP different from the Dell OS Reinstallation disc, then the computer STILL does not have a proper license for XP even though it's installed and activated.  Remember that the CoA you purchased cannot yield a genuine installation of XP.  And regardless of whether the Dell OS reinstallation disc works to install and activate Windows on the computer, if that version or edition are not the same as what was on the CoA original to the computer, then the computer does not have a genuine license.

You did mention that the IBM computer has a CoA for XP Pro.  The correct thing to do is to contact IBM support to order recovery discs for this computer, which will result in a genuine installation of Windows on the computer.

I think you are also making a bad assumption regarding the notation of XP Professional CoAs that states "1-2 CPU."  This does NOT mean that you are permitted to install that XP license on two computers at the same time.  It means that the operating system is licensed to be installed on one computer, and that one computer may have up to two Central Processing Units (CPUs, another term for the main processor inside the computer).  At the time XP was released, high-end workstations in the graphics and financial analysis fields often used a motherboard that had two processor chips installed for higher performance, and that notation on the CoA covers the use of XP Pro on these two-processor workstations.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 2:43 PM
  • Thank you for the information.

Gardner K Flynn
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 2:10 AM