Vista not working after graphics card upgrade. RRS feed

• Question

• Like a lot of folk here my copy of Vista ultimate decided to die after upgrading my graphics card (and memory) so I could use it in the first place...

Oh the irony.  It's a very legitimate copy seeing as I work for MS's games division and bought it from the internal store... (at least I HOPE it's legal... heh)

So - how do I go about getting it working?  At the moment I'm sitting staring at a screen that's not even allowing me to run window's in a basic non aero mode while my Apple Mac using friend plays Warcraft and laughs at me.

Sunday, May 6, 2007 11:08 PM

Answers

• Do the same as i did:  Phone the carbon-based lifeform 1-800 MS number for a revalidation in India (at least that was where mine was at), tell her you were foolish enough to add a new piece of hardware to your box, and if she believes you she will give you another string of numbers to tap into your validation screen to revalidate your legal copy of VISTA.  If you ask her, she will tell you this is what you're going to have to do every time you add or change any piece of hardware of any kind.   IF you can think of anything more irritating than this, everyone would probably be amused to hear of it.  On the flip side, this is the only irritating feature of VISTA that i have found so far. :-)
    Monday, May 7, 2007 3:56 AM

All replies

• Do the same as i did:  Phone the carbon-based lifeform 1-800 MS number for a revalidation in India (at least that was where mine was at), tell her you were foolish enough to add a new piece of hardware to your box, and if she believes you she will give you another string of numbers to tap into your validation screen to revalidate your legal copy of VISTA.  If you ask her, she will tell you this is what you're going to have to do every time you add or change any piece of hardware of any kind.   IF you can think of anything more irritating than this, everyone would probably be amused to hear of it.  On the flip side, this is the only irritating feature of VISTA that i have found so far. :-)
    Monday, May 7, 2007 3:56 AM
  • Heh - thanks.  Did that late last night and after a long conversation with a lot of "You use xp right?" "no... no I don't" "are you sure?" and so on it ended up working again.  Oddly it still decided it was an illegal copy and refused to run Aero and the like until I ran the windows validator in IE7.

Strange strange feature and one I'm suprised no one's yelled about in reviews!

Anyway - cheers for the help Smile

Monday, May 7, 2007 10:14 AM