Off Topic: Re: Wallpaper link spyware RRS feed

• General discussion

• My problem is related to the one mentioned here.  I managed to clean up my machine, but now I have a blank screen that covers up my wallpaper. The icons and everything are there, but no wallpaper.  I know this isn't a big deal, but it still bugs me.  I have seen a few other postings around the net with the same issue.  The responses are always the same, right click desktop or go to display settings, etc., but it still doesn't solve the problem. There is something overriding the display settings.  The wallpaper is there (shows briefly when booting up & shutting down), but when windows completely loads, the wallpaper is covered with a blank white screen.  By the way, on my properties settings, I don't even show a "web" tab.  I'm thinking there is a connection here, but I haven't been able to solve that problem either.

Dwight
    Saturday, October 6, 2007 10:01 PM

All replies

• Dwight,

Doesn't sound to me like you have successfully cleaned up your machine. Not knowing what you did to "clean", I would recommend that you download CounterSpy from http://www.sunbelt-software.com/Home-Home-Office/CounterSpy/. (I am not affiiated with Sunbelt in any way) It has a free 15 day trial, and is trustworthy and effective. If CounterSpy can run a clean scan then you are probably clean. Lets see how it goes after that. There are other tools you can use that are also free, go to http://smokethiscigar.com and click on the Free Software link to the left.

Hope this helps,

Jeff

Sunday, October 7, 2007 1:18 AM
  • what you have might be a desktop hijacking, but quite common is an active desktop altered to mimic a wallpaper but in reality it is a website which is on the desktop.

As an option - please call in Microsoft Security for a direct assistance on such matter ( free support ) ( toll free number ) 866 727 2338 US/CANADA.

And for General Malware. Virus, Spyware, Rootkit concern without Onecare on the system please proceed to the Microsoft Security community click here

Sunday, October 7, 2007 12:35 PM
  • Dwight

As it does not appear that you are using OneCare I have moved your post to the off topic folder, you should fellow Milo's advice and call.

chuck

Sunday, October 7, 2007 5:41 PM