is there a way for whs2011 to see more than 8gb or ram RRS feed

• Question

• I have 16gb of ram I want to use but WHS2011 only see 8gb. Is there a way I can change it to see the whole 16gb?

I use VMware workstation with a number of VM, which is why I need the increased ram.

Monday, October 17, 2011 2:31 AM

Answers

• No, WHS 2011 is restricted to 8GB maximum.

Dave

The Frog on the Lilypad at Home
    • Marked as answer by Ken Warren Monday, October 17, 2011 1:56 PM
    Monday, October 17, 2011 3:42 AM

All replies

• No, WHS 2011 is restricted to 8GB maximum.

Dave

The Frog on the Lilypad at Home
    • Marked as answer by Ken Warren Monday, October 17, 2011 1:56 PM
    Monday, October 17, 2011 3:42 AM
  • Thanks for the Reply Dave, I gusess I was hoping there was a way around the 8gb limit, unsupported way of course.
    Monday, October 17, 2011 6:40 AM
  • You would not see much performance improvement even if it could.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Monday, October 17, 2011 12:48 PM
  • Thankyou for the reply Phil, however I am not after more performance of WHS2011, I want to use the extra ram for my virtual machines as mentioned in the original post.
    Monday, October 17, 2011 11:27 PM
  • On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 06:40:24 +0000, bucket23 wrote:

Thanks for the Reply Dave, I gusess I was hoping there was a way around the 8gb limit, unsupported way of course.

No, the underlying OS is hard coded to only see 8 GB of RAM at a maximum.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    As of next week, passwords will be entered in Morse code.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 6:10 AM
  • I suppose if you ran a different host OS (one that could use more than 8 GB RAM --such as VMware ESXi) and ran WHS2011 as one of your virtual machines on it (along side your other VMs) that would be a completely unsupported (but also very cool) configuration.
    • Edited by Dale Start Tuesday, October 18, 2011 2:07 PM
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 1:41 PM
  • You can always download the free version of Hyper-V and run WHS 2011 as a virtual machine on that. I ran my WHS that way for some time. It is a huge pain in the butt to setup a Hyper-V core installation and configure it for management if its not joined to a domain (especially if you do not like the command line) but it is possible. After the initial installation, most of the virtual machine management can by done remotely with the hyper-V manager (another pain to find and install). Other downsides are that you have to be far more involved with disk management, and there are issues with accessing certain types of disks on WHS if its running as a virtual machine. Good luck trying to remotely troubleshoot issues and collect performance data on a Hyper-V core, though - I finally gave up and just bought windows server. And if your drive crashes and you need to restore the server itself, you get to look forward to re-reading all that stuff about installing Hyper-V again, assuming you manually backup your virtual WHS server to some other location

• Edited by Rutlet Tuesday, October 18, 2011 9:26 PM
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 9:22 PM