Lost Drive 0 RRS feed

• Question

• I installed Lights out on one of my servers, and either by coincidence or bad luck, my HD 0 crashed and is not even showing in the Bios as functioning, and is making a nice grinding noise now, of course this is the drive with the OS on it. What is the right way to proceed, replace the drive, reload the OS and go from there? I haven't tried anything as far as recovery on the drive, any suggestions on how to go through the proper steps is greatly appreciated. 

Mark G. 
    Saturday, October 11, 2008 5:15 PM

Answers

• Lunker 1 said:

I installed Lights out on one of my servers, and either by coincidence or bad luck, my HD 0 crashed and is not even showing in the Bios as functioning, and is making a nice grinding noise now, of course this is the drive with the OS on it. What is the right way to proceed, replace the drive, reload the OS and go from there? I haven't tried anything as far as recovery on the drive, any suggestions on how to go through the proper steps is greatly appreciated. 

Mark G. 

All is Green Again
    I received my drive from western digital and installed it, loaded my WHS disk and it did give me the option to do a server reinstallation. As a matter of fact it reinstalled very smoothly, rebuilt all my tombstone files and even restored my 8 month old back ups with out a hiccup! The next step was to install all up dates which didn't take long. I then ran Discovery.exe and reconnected all my clients. I was impressed with all my shares recovered as they where, with out loosing a single file or back up. I am using multiple 500gig drives,(which really everyone should be using multiple drives, otherwise all would have been lost) and fortunately had duplication turned on for all my shares. All I have to do is install my add ins and tweak the security. As for Lights out, I have it running perfectly on my other server so I don't know if it was coincidence or did cause the problem, I will search the WE Got Served forums. But I have to take my hat off to Microsoft for developing a great product, I am impressed.

Mark G.
    • Marked as answer by Lunker 1 Wednesday, October 22, 2008 3:48 PM
    Wednesday, October 22, 2008 3:48 PM

All replies

• Replace the drive.
    • Boot from the WHS installation DVD.
    • Supply drivers if needed (for all your drives).
    • On the installation type selection screen, you should have the option for a server reinstallation. Choose that. (If only new installation is available, don't proceed, get back to us and we'll help you further).
    • Leave the DVD in the drive until you reach the Welcome screen.

Note: if you needed drivers for the server to recognize any drives in your system (i.e. without drivers you see no drives in hardware discovery), prepare an F6 floppy according to your manufacturer's recommendations. If you have multiple disk controllers, prepare one for each. After the first reboot, the one into text mode setup, watch at the very beginning for the "Press F6" prompt at the bottom. Do so (tapping it 2-3 times fairly quickly often helps) and supply all your storage drivers again, on floppy.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, October 11, 2008 7:25 PM
  • I recomend too.. if you have have the space, take off the data from your drives (HDs from the WHS) and stored it in other location, just in case. you can put disk by disk on another computer and extract the data, this is not really necesary but is a recomended step for security.
    Saturday, October 11, 2008 7:46 PM
  • Ok,
    Thank you for the reply, I am going to RMA this drive back to WD, I can't even get in to do a CHKDSK, it just grinds away, I know there must be data left on the drive but how can you get at it to write 0's if you can't even get into it? Also can I just do a re install NOW onto the existing harddrive and then add the new drive to the storage pool? Or wait for the new one?

Mark G. 
    • Edited by Lunker 1 Friday, October 17, 2008 12:29 AM
    Wednesday, October 15, 2008 9:29 PM
  • Ken,

I have found some issues with loading controller drivers during the install of the OS after the first reboot. Mostly this is do with bad drivers for add-in controller cards but I digress. My main point is that so long as the hard drive which WHS is being installed is available. The OS install will continue until the point were the ARCHIVER starts to rebuild the TOMBSTONE records. The install will indicate an error. A quick work around instead of finding new drivers or restarting the install is to OK out the error message. If the users scrolls to bottom of the screen the START menu is available, the user can then right click on MY COMPUTER and then manage. More than likely the offending hard drive controller is marked as UNKNOWN CONTROLLER. The user can right click on icon install the drivers. Once the drivers are installed and the controller operation, the can simply reboot the server and the server will restart the ARCHIVER function again and continue through the install.

My two cents.

Later...

Friday, October 17, 2008 8:46 PM
  • Lunker 1 said:

I installed Lights out on one of my servers, and either by coincidence or bad luck, my HD 0 crashed and is not even showing in the Bios as functioning, and is making a nice grinding noise now, of course this is the drive with the OS on it. What is the right way to proceed, replace the drive, reload the OS and go from there? I haven't tried anything as far as recovery on the drive, any suggestions on how to go through the proper steps is greatly appreciated. 

Mark G. 

All is Green Again
    I received my drive from western digital and installed it, loaded my WHS disk and it did give me the option to do a server reinstallation. As a matter of fact it reinstalled very smoothly, rebuilt all my tombstone files and even restored my 8 month old back ups with out a hiccup! The next step was to install all up dates which didn't take long. I then ran Discovery.exe and reconnected all my clients. I was impressed with all my shares recovered as they where, with out loosing a single file or back up. I am using multiple 500gig drives,(which really everyone should be using multiple drives, otherwise all would have been lost) and fortunately had duplication turned on for all my shares. All I have to do is install my add ins and tweak the security. As for Lights out, I have it running perfectly on my other server so I don't know if it was coincidence or did cause the problem, I will search the WE Got Served forums. But I have to take my hat off to Microsoft for developing a great product, I am impressed.

Mark G.
    • Marked as answer by Lunker 1 Wednesday, October 22, 2008 3:48 PM
    Wednesday, October 22, 2008 3:48 PM