WHS: Change system partition RRS feed

• Question

• I've been running WHS since the beginning and have a disk setup that I am not happy with.  It goes as follows:

Disk 0   750GB
    Disk 1   750GB
    Disk 2   74GB

Disk 0 is the system disk, but I wanted it to be Disk 2.  I don't know why I never noticed it before.  Now that I'm filling up the drives, I'm thinking about fixing this.  Is there any way to change the system partition to be on Disk 0 or must I do a complete reinstall?  If I do need to reinstall, what is the easiest/safest way to ensure my backups and shares remain intact?  I have plenty of spare drives to copy the data too.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 6:16 PM

Answers

• You can't do that with Windows Home Server. No matter what drive is used as the system drive, it will be formatted with a 20 GB system partition, and a second DATA partition which will contain the rest of the drive.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by orgetorix Thursday, January 7, 2010 7:00 PM
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 6:39 PM

All replies

• Simplest solution: don't worry about it.

If you want to get rid of the 74 GB drive, add a new 750 GB drive by installing it and adding it to the storage pool (in case there are files on the 74 GB drive now), then remove the 74 GB drive from the storage pool using the console and uninstall it.

Thursday, January 7, 2010 6:23 PM
  • Thanks for the quick response.  I guess my biggest concern was about having the system files separate from the data files in case of drive failure.
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 6:36 PM
  • You can't do that with Windows Home Server. No matter what drive is used as the system drive, it will be formatted with a 20 GB system partition, and a second DATA partition which will contain the rest of the drive.
    • Marked as answer by orgetorix Thursday, January 7, 2010 7:00 PM
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 6:39 PM
  • Gotcha.  So no matter what, in my current system, 1 drive would contain the system files and some data files.  Thanks for your help!
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 7:00 PM