What forums aren't being moderated? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Here is an extreme scenario (hopefully your scenario is only part of this):

The OPs (Askers) are not marking answers, and there are no Moderators marking answers (or proposing answers or voting replies as helpful). Therefore people aren't motivated to answer questions in a specific forum because they get no Recognition, no value, and no thanks. The Askers don't respond, and so the community feels like they're wasting their time. However, people still have questions, and so there are many questions with no answers. Because the Moderators aren't there, neither is the Community.

Now it could be that the need for people to answer questions (the demand) is greater than the community's desire and ability to answer those questions (the supply), but even in those cases, a healthy team of active Moderators can at least put a dent in the demand for assistance.

Post a link to any forum where you feel that there are not enough active Moderators. I (and maybe others) will then work with you to help build out a healthy community of active Moderators.

However, you should know that this is a SLOW process! It will take time for me to get to these requests and even more time just to find and contact the existing Moderators. Then we will need to identify solutions, such as finding/assessing/recruiting more Moderators who can help. There are many random factors (schedules, expectations, communication, etc.), so one engagement could take much longer than another. That said, it's a worthy cause and valuable effort. But it WILL require your patience!

Thanks!

Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 6:58 PM
    Owner

All replies

• This forum http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/visualfoxprogeneral/threads has only MSFT people moderators now and seem to have 0 moderators from the community. The marking process is usually OK, but I have a feeling that the moderators in that forum have knowldge in other areas (C#/VB.NET) and not VFP specific knowledge.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 7:04 PM
  • This forum http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/visualfoxprogeneral/threads has only MSFT people moderators now and seem to have 0 moderators from the community. The marking process is usually OK, but I have a feeling that the moderators in that forum have knowldge in other areas (C#/VB.NET) and not VFP specific knowledge.

My blog

Well the quality (knowledge) of moderation can be debatable. Let's at least look at the quantity to see if it's justifiable.

They have a LOT of Moderators:

Recent Moderators

Mike Feng Mike Feng (MS CSG)
    Mark Liu-lxf Mark Liu-lxf (MS CSG)
    Alex Liang Alex Liang (Inactive for a year)
    Martin_Xie Martin_Xie 
    Liliane Teng Liliane Teng (Inactive for 3 months)
    billb08 - MSFT billb08 - MSFT (MS; Inactive for 8 months)
    Trevor Hancock Trevor Hancock (MS)
    Calvin_Gao Calvin_Gao (MS CSG)
    Kee Poppy Kee Poppy (MS CSG)
    Chao Kuo Chao Kuo (Inactive for 5 months)

Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 11:23 PM
    Owner
  • That makes five mods, but like you said, they are spending most of their time on other forums:

Mike Feng Mike Feng (MS CSG)
    Mark Liu-lxf Mark Liu-lxf (MS CSG)
    Martin_Xie Martin_Xie
    Trevor Hancock Trevor Hancock (MS)
    Calvin_Gao Calvin_Gao (MS CSG)
    Kee Poppy Kee Poppy (MS CSG)

The demand in the forum is currently greater than the supply of Moderation available (i.e. they could use some help):

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/visualfoxprogeneral/threads?filter=unanswered&page=1

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/visualfoxprogeneral/threads?filter=unanswered%2cnoreplies

The Top Answerers are not Moderators:

Top Answerers

Last 30 days
    Pavel Celba Pavel Celba 19
    Naomi  N Naomi  N 17
    Tamar E. Granor Tamar E. Granor 12
    Tom Borgmann Tom Borgmann 10
    CaleCrow CaleCrow 8
    Olaf Doschke Olaf Doschke 6
    Kalpesh Chhatrala Kalpesh Chhatrala 6
    Michael Zacharias Michael Zacharias 5
    ostrowlaw ostrowlaw 2
    ChamW ChamW 2

I'll recommend you and Pavel. Are you interested?

Thanks!

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 11:38 PM
    Owner
  • I'm fine with it. My recommendation is Pavel and Tom Borgmann and Olaf Doschke. Pavel, Tom and Olaf are very active in this forum. I only answer when I check 'My Forums' as I spent most of the time in T-SQL forum. But I'd like to be a moderator in VFP forum.

My blog

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 11:55 PM
  • How about addressing the problem ("OPs (Askers) are not marking answers") from another angle as well? Part of the problem is that most newbies don't get the whole "mark as answer or helpful" process or they are unaware of it. Often they even post a final feedback post (like "thanks, that worked!") but don't mark, so i don't think its because they don't care.
    I think it could help, if before someone starts his very first thread, he would be presented a css-popup (or something other that he definitely can't miss) that would explain how it works and especially why it's important.

Thanks, Denniver

Blog: http://bytecookie.wordpress.com

Hilf mit und markiere hilfreiche Beiträge als "Hilfreich" und Beiträge die deine Frage ganz oder teilweise beantwortet haben als "Antwort".

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 12:16 AM
  • The Training and Certification forum is now being moderated however we have no active Answerers. I would like to have Horizon_Net and Charles Putnam, MCP, MCTSas Answerers on this forum as they participate heavily (These two would also make great moderators to replace the two who haven’t been active for the last 2 months)

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Please mark answered if I've answered your question and vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 12:18 AM
  • How about addressing the problem ("OPs (Askers) are not marking answers") from another angle as well? Part of the problem is that most newbies don't get the whole "mark as answer or helpful" process or they are unaware of it. Often they even post a final feedback post (like "thanks, that worked!") but don't mark, so i don't think its because they don't care.
    I think it could help, if before someone starts his very first thread, he would be presented a css-popup (or something other that he definitely can't miss) that would explain how it works and especially why it's important.

Thanks, Denniver

Hilf mit und markiere hilfreiche Beiträge als "Hilfreich" und Beiträge die deine Frage ganz oder teilweise beantwortet haben als "Antwort".

Agreed. Could you post this to the Forum Suggestions forum and to the Forum Feature Requests article on TN Wiki?

I also have a thread in the Profile forum asking for threads that could use more Helpful votes and Proposed Answers. But we can always use more ideas of how to improve this.

Thanks!

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 12:34 AM
    Owner
  • The Training and Certification forum is now being moderated however we have no active Answerers. I would like to have Horizon_Net and Charles Putnam, MCP, MCTSas Answerers on this forum as they participate heavily (These two would also make great moderators to replace the two who haven’t been active for the last 2 months)

Jeff Wharton

Please mark answered if I've answered your question and vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker

I got the link off your profile: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/CertGeneral/threads/

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 12:35 AM
    Owner
  • In addition to my previous reply, why can't a process be put in place that removes moderators/answerers from a forum who have not participated in a forum for 3 months or more?

Jeff Wharton

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 12:36 AM

Jeff Wharton

The Training Forum is actually in good shape... but Jeff, you're a one-man wrecking crew over there! =^)

Yeah, you probably could use some help. That way you aren't as likely to mark your own answers.

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 12:45 AM
    Owner
  • Follow up with me later this week to see where I'm at with these two (FoxPro and Training).

Thanks!

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 12:46 AM
    Owner
  • In addition to my previous reply, why can't a process be put in place that removes moderators/answerers from a forum who have not participated in a forum for 3 months or more?

Jeff Wharton

Good. Could you post this to the Forum Suggestions forum and to the Forum Feature Requests article on TN Wiki?

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 12:51 AM
    Owner

Jeff Wharton

The Training Forum is actually in good shape... but Jeff, you're a one-man wrecking crew over there! =^)

Yeah, you probably could use some help. That way you aren't as likely to mark your own answers.

lol.

I have around 30 replies marked as the proposed answer by forum members however OP’s have not been back to mark their question as answered (despite some of them saying thanks for my reply) .  Existing Moderators and Answerers aren’t marking questions as answered either.  

I reviewed 3 months of questions and marked some of my replies as the Answer (as they were proposed by others) however I’m reluctant to keep doing this because:

1. I don’t want people thinking I’m using my status to mark my own replies as answers, especially if I’m the only person who has replied to a question
    2. Don’t want to miss out on due recognition.

So how do we address this?  Do I just mark questions as answered as this is best for the community or do I just wait to see if someone will eventually mark my replies as answers? 

More than likely I’ll end up marking questions as answered so it’s clear to see that the forum is active :-)

Jeff Wharton

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 12:55 AM

Jeff Wharton

Good. Could you post this to the Forum Suggestions forum and to the Forum Feature Requests article on TN Wiki?

Done for suggestions.  looking into Forum Feature Requests Wiki as haven't used it before

Jeff Wharton

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 12:58 AM
  • I will.

Thanks, Denniver

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 1:18 AM
  • Denniver,

Here's the Forum/Profile Feature Requests page on TNWiki:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/4703.feature-requests-for-technet-and-msdn-profiles-and-social-platform-tools.aspx

Jeff found it and added his request.

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 1:49 AM
    Owner
  • Denniver,
    Here's the Forum/Profile Feature Requests page[...]
    Jeff found it
    and added his request.

Thanks, did you misplace it? ;)

cheers, Denniver

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 10:17 AM
  • The Chart Controls for .NET Framework forum.

I whined about this about a year ago, but nothing happened. Except possibly some response from a chart control engineer(?) saying they're busy.

You could ask jwavila to moderate there if the current moderators aren't available. He's an MVP and fairly active there. If all else fails, I may be willing to volunteer for the job (as per your suggestion.)

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 11:18 AM
  • http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuineadvantage/threads

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinebenefits/threads

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinefeedback/threads

There's been no MS participagtion in any of the above for years - and only rare posts.

Either remove them completely or have someone look in on a regular basis :)

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 2:44 PM
    Answerer
  • Jeff found it and added his request.

Thanks, did you misplace it? ;)

cheers, Denniver

Ha! Let's just say that I through it out there to be re-found by anyone who was looking. =^)

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 9:26 PM
    Owner
  • Siply and Noel,

Thanks! Both are good examples. I'll help Naomi and Jeff and then back to you (I'll go in order of the requests).

Thanks!

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 9:27 PM
    Owner
  • http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuineadvantage/threads

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinebenefits/threads

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinefeedback/threads

There's been no MS participagtion in any of the above for years - and only rare posts.

This may be the case, but it seems to me that all those forums do have a very active moderator, Carey Frisch... Though of course having someone from Microsoft participate would be nice too.

Thursday, February 9, 2012 9:55 AM
  • HI Ed !

First of all, i would like to commend you on creating this thread. I am sure it will be a step in building a healthy list of Moderators who actively volunteer their services for the community.

I am interested in becoming Moderator for Forum 'Transact-SQL' , 'Getting started with SQL Server' , 'Database Design' SQL related Forums. You might check out my activity during Last Quarter of 2011, although these Forums already have a healthy list of Moderators but you can still put me in the list after discussing with the existing Forum Moderators. Recently i am not active with these Forums but hoepfully i will be available from March 2012 onwards.

I am sure Naomi has already noticed my contributions there.

Thanks, Hasham

Thursday, February 9, 2012 10:28 AM
  • I didn't read the entire thread, but I've seen abuse reports go on ad infinitum without attention here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/threads

-Noel

Thursday, February 9, 2012 11:26 PM
  • Thanks Hasham and Noel. The demand hath exceeded the supply (not hard to do, since it's just me, and it's something I can only sometimes carve time out for). But I'll get back to you and this forum thread.

Here's the order list by request:

1. Naomi
    2. Jeff
    3. Sipla
    4. Noel P
    5. Noel C

So I'll touch them in the order received.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Friday, February 10, 2012 2:50 AM
    Owner
  • Thanks Hasham and Noel. The demand hath exceeded the supply (not hard to do, since it's just me, and it's something I can only sometimes carve time out for). But I'll get back to you and this forum thread.

Here's the order list by request:

1. Naomi
    2. Jeff
    3. Sipla
    4. Noel P
    5. Noel C

So I'll touch them in the order received.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Seems like i am not short listed by the Community in the list provided by you. Anways thanks.

Friday, February 10, 2012 5:56 AM
  • My pointt is that all three of these forums are supposed to be for feedback to Microsoft and not question/answer forums - they therefore require MS participation to achieve their purpose.

If MS wants to repurpose them, that's fine - but then they need to change the BS in the forum headers.

Friday, February 10, 2012 2:09 PM
    Answerer
  • Hey Noel, I think everyone knows that Microsoft is closed for feedback until further notice.  :)  JK

Seriously, where did you read that the areas you identified are supposed to be for feedback to Microsoft?  Without specific language, I've always felt that any and all forums are primarily for peer support - i.e., free customer support by kind hearted individuals like us who'd rather be helping others than working.  ;)

I didn't see evidence of Microsoft soliciting direct feedback on the pages you listed or their parent page.  Perhaps I'm missing something obvious...  Not nearly enough coffee yet this morning.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my new eBook: Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options

• Edited by Noel Carboni Friday, February 10, 2012 3:21 PM corrected typo, clarified wording
    Friday, February 10, 2012 3:15 PM
  • Seems like i am not short listed by the Community in the list provided by you. Anways thanks.

My mistake:

1. Naomi
    2. Jeff
    3. Sipla
    4. Noel P
    5. Hasham
    6. Noel C

Sorry about that. I randomly missed your name.

Saturday, February 11, 2012 12:17 AM
    Owner
  • My pointt is that all three of these forums are supposed to be for feedback to Microsoft and not question/answer forums - they therefore require MS participation to achieve their purpose.

If MS wants to repurpose them, that's fine - but then they need to change the BS in the forum headers.

Understood. Thanks!

Saturday, February 11, 2012 12:18 AM
    Owner
  • Hey Noel, I think everyone knows that Microsoft is closed for feedback until further notice.  :)  JK

Seriously, where did you read that the areas you identified are supposed to be for feedback to Microsoft?  Without specific language, I've always felt that any and all forums are primarily for peer support - i.e., free customer support by kind hearted individuals like us who'd rather be helping others than working.  ;)

I didn't see evidence of Microsoft soliciting direct feedback on the pages you listed or their parent page.  Perhaps I'm missing something obvious...  Not nearly enough coffee yet this morning.

-Noel

Thanks for the feedback, Noel! =^)

Saturday, February 11, 2012 12:18 AM
    Owner
  • Hi Ed,

How are you going with getting Answerers for the Training and Certification forum? 

Jeff Wharton

Sunday, February 12, 2012 10:49 AM
  • Hi Ed,

How are you going with getting Answerers for the Training and Certification forum? 

Jeff Wharton

I recommended that Horizon, Charles, and Konrad are added as Answerers. If the team approves, then that should build a nice community where you can mark each others' answers when appropriate.

Thanks!

Monday, February 20, 2012 1:47 AM
    Owner
  • I'm fine with it. My recommendation is Pavel and Tom Borgmann and Olaf Doschke. Pavel, Tom and Olaf are very active in this forum. I only answer when I check 'My Forums' as I spent most of the time in T-SQL forum. But I'd like to be a moderator in VFP forum.

My blog

Naomi, I will recommend that they add you, Pavel, Tom, and Olaf. If you have contact info for Pavel or Olaf, please send it to me. I already contacted Tom. Thanks!

Monday, February 20, 2012 1:50 AM
    Owner
  • Here's my update...

I got the ball rolling on these two requests...

1. Naomi - Visual Fox Pro forum
    2. Jeff - Training and Cert forum

Here are the next requests to go through...

1. Sipla
    2. Noel P
    3. Hasham
    4. Noel C
    5. Jeff - SQL Server Samples and Community Projects forum (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-AU/sqlserversamples/threads)

Thanks for your patience. This is obviously a "missing feature" in the process, and it will take time for me to get through these requests and then for the processes to be completed (as I've said, it's very random as far as how long it takes).

Thanks!

Monday, February 20, 2012 1:54 AM
    Owner
  • Ed,

Did you get my email regarding the SQL Server Samples and Community Projects forum?

Jeff Wharton

Monday, February 20, 2012 2:00 AM
  • Ed,

Did you get my email regarding the SQL Server Samples and Community Projects forum?

Jeff Wharton

Got it. Let me get to a few of these other folks who have been patiently waiting. This is why no one has done this before... demand is much bigger than supply. =^)

Thanks!

Monday, February 20, 2012 3:42 AM
    Owner
  • I didn't expect you to do it right now.  Just wanted to know if you got it :-)

P.S. Thanks for all your hard work

Jeff Wharton

Monday, February 20, 2012 3:45 AM
  • I have their contact info from the UniversalThread.com website. I sent it to you.

My blog

Monday, February 20, 2012 4:06 AM
  • Update for Jeff... It looks like the changes went through for the Training and Certification Forum.

Thanks!

Monday, February 20, 2012 10:21 AM
    Owner
  • I have their contact info from the UniversalThread.com website. I sent it to you.

My blog

Thanks Naomi!

Monday, February 20, 2012 10:22 AM
    Owner
  • I am an Answerer in Data Design, i went out of the country for three months, came back, and picked it up again. I think i'm active enough to qualify for something. Had the Answerer marking been taken away, i do not know how i would have reacted. That is, i would fully understand (and almost expect) a demotion. But i would be less encouraged to restart.

I would like to suggest a modification to your suggestion. Instead of removing the title, deactivate it after three months. Re-activation would then be contingent upon certain amount of activity over the following three months. If there is no activity after six months, remove it completely.

Monday, February 20, 2012 1:49 PM
  • Update for Jeff... It looks like the changes went through for the Training and Certification Forum.

Thanks!

You're a star Ed.  Thanks for your help.

Jeff Wharton

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Monday, February 20, 2012 10:49 PM
  • I've checked this forum and I can see it doesn't have many moderators

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sqlserversamples/thread/9dd84ee1-8a97-49a1-8f4b-ab0fad4e0d9d

My blog

Monday, February 20, 2012 11:07 PM

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sqlserversamples/thread/9dd84ee1-8a97-49a1-8f4b-ab0fad4e0d9d

My blog

I've put my hand up for that one as I believe it goes hand-in-hand with the Training and Certification forum :-)

Here are the next requests to go through...

1. Sipla
    2. Noel P
    3. Hasham
    4. Noel C
    5. Jeff - SQL Server Samples and Community Projects forum (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-AU/sqlserversamples/threads)

Jeff Wharton

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Monday, February 20, 2012 11:10 PM

My blog

Naomi, regarding VFP... I got a hold of Pavel, but I need Olaf and Tom to ping me back. Could you email them too?

Thanks!

Monday, February 20, 2012 11:24 PM
    Owner
  • I would like to moderate the Excel for Developers forum.

I used to be a moderator in that forum, and some others, but dropped out when the forums changed a couple of years back.

Ed Ferrero
    www.edferrero.com

Monday, February 20, 2012 11:29 PM

I used to be a moderator in that forum, and some others, but dropped out when the forums changed a couple of years back.

Ed Ferrero
    www.edferrero.com

Okay, I'm adding it as a to-do item to the list...

1. Sipla
    2. Noel P
    3. Hasham
    4. Noel C
    6. Ed Ferrero (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exceldev/threads)

Thanks!

Monday, February 20, 2012 11:38 PM
    Owner
  • Well, I probably can, but I communicate with them in the forums only, not on the personal level. If they don't reply back on your requests, I am not sure what I can do. Also, you told before you already communicated with Tom.

BTW, am I also considered for the moderators there?

My blog

Monday, February 20, 2012 11:50 PM
  • Well, I probably can, but I communicate with them in the forums only, not on the personal level. If they don't reply back on your requests, I am not sure what I can do. Also, you told before you already communicated with Tom.

BTW, am I also considered for the moderators there?

My blog

Answer: yes you are. I'll have more details as we get closer.

I sent Tom an email earlier (and Olaf as well), but I haven't heard back. I'll try to ping them another way. Thanks!

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 12:10 AM
    Owner
  • I just realized that there are 49 replies in this thread and it's zooming so fast! That's fantastic!

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 12:10 AM
    Owner
  • Tom and Olaf are from Germany, so they may reply tomorrow - it's late there right now.

My blog

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 12:16 AM

Ed Ferrero
    www.edferrero.com

I visited that forum. There are a lot of Moderators. Are they very active?

There are also a lot of Answerers in the Answerer list (click Next on the right). However, I agree that the demand for more Answerers greatly exceeds the current supply.

Thanks!

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 12:44 AM
    Owner
  •  I visited that forum. There are a lot of Moderators. Are they very active?

There are also a lot of Answerers in the Answerer list (click Next on the right). However, I agree that the demand for more Answerers greatly exceeds the current supply.

I have only noticed Calvin_Gao and danishani as active moderators. There seem to be a lot of threads that need a little bit of moderation, this thread is typical where Peter Thornton puts in a very patient and exhaustive effort, and the OP marks his own 'thank-you' response as the answer :)

Ed Ferrero
    www.edferrero.com

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 2:11 AM
  • I have only noticed Calvin_Gao and danishani as active moderators. There seem to be a lot of threads that need a little bit of moderation, this thread is typical where Peter Thornton puts in a very patient and exhaustive effort, and the OP marks his own 'thank-you' response as the answer :)

Ed Ferrero
    www.edferrero.com

Ha! Those are the worst!

Okay, I replied with my usual request for the Asker to mark an answer.

When I get to your request, what I'll do is usually recommend a few people to become Answerers so that a group can work together and mark eachother's answers (when appropriate).

Thanks!

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 2:29 AM
    Owner
  • I just realized that there are 49 replies in this thread and it's zooming so fast! That's fantastic!

I'd like to be a moderator for this thread. :)
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 1:05 PM
  • I'd like to be a moderator for this thread. :)

Brian,

Why, so you can delete my replies? =^)

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 7:00 PM
    Owner
  • Tom and Olaf are from Germany, so they may reply tomorrow - it's late there right now.

My blog

Naomi,

I've heard back from you, Tom, and Pavel. Nothing from Olaf yet. Shall I move forward with just the three of you for now?

Thanks!

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 7:02 PM
    Owner
  • I'd say, yes. 3 don't wait for 1, it's a Russian proverb.

My blog

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 7:10 PM

They've definitely incrementally improved performance, but the script still stalls pretty badly on threads with 150 or more responses.  It's something like 50% better now than it was.

-Noel

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 7:16 PM

They've definitely incrementally improved performance, but the script still stalls pretty badly on threads with 150 or more responses.  It's something like 50% better now than it was.

-Noel

My estimation is more like 500% improvement. If it was horrible at 30 posts and is now horrible at 150, then that's five times the ability to post in threads. Not that it matters too much, but I think they deserve some credit for this big improvement.

Thanks!

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 7:19 PM
    Owner
  • I'd like to be a moderator for this thread. :)

Brian,

Why, so you can delete my replies? =^)

Now why would i do something like that...  :)

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 7:26 PM
  • My estimation is more like 500% improvement. If it was horrible at 30 posts and is now horrible at 150, then that's five times the ability to post in threads. Not that it matters too much, but I think they deserve some credit for this big improvement.

It may depend on the machine on which it is running.  I have a fairly modern workstation and for me it's only modestly faster; 30 post threads were virtually instantaneous before here.  Yes, they deserve credit for making it better for everyone!

-Noel

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 8:13 PM
  • Ed...
    I'm a lone Answerer in the 3 main WGA forums - with effectively two moderators (Darin and Carey), and an occasional visit from another mod when Darin is away.
    For obvious reasons, I'm leery of marking my own threads as answers (or proposed answers) unless there's some indication from the OP that it actually did work :) - and I answer (or at least attempt) 90+% of the posts.
    As far as I know, there's no 'policy' or other guidelines for Answerers to refer to  - is this deliberate (to allow flexibility)?

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 11:15 AM
    Answerer
  • Ed...
    I'm a lone Answerer in the 3 main WGA forums - with effectively two moderators (Darin and Carey), and an occasional visit from another mod when Darin is away.
    For obvious reasons, I'm leery of marking my own threads as answers (or proposed answers) unless there's some indication from the OP that it actually did work :) - and I answer (or at least attempt) 90+% of the posts.
    As far as I know, there's no 'policy' or other guidelines for Answerers to refer to  - is this deliberate (to allow flexibility)?

Understood. That's exactly why this thread exists. There are a lot of forums racking up more unanswered questions than anything, and that makes a poor experience. And yes the goal is to build teams so that you can tag team and propose/mark each other's answers (when appropriate).

There's a list of Moderation guidelines on the Wiki. But they're way too vague. I'm working on that. I've worked with the Forum teams to build one-off Moderation and Answerer guidelines that we include as onboarding in this process we're doing. So anyone who we make Answerers won't be left in the dark. However, the bigger problem of getting all the existing Moderators on the same page will take more time.

We're done now with the Naomi and first Jeff request. Here's the list...

1. Sipla
    2. Noel P
    3. Hasham
    4. Noel C
    6. Ed Ferrero (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exceldev/threads)

Thanks!

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 9:29 PM
    Owner
  • Any updates Ed? (Nag Nag :-)

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty

Saturday, February 25, 2012 1:54 AM
  • There seem to be a lot of threads that need a little bit of moderation, this thread is typical where Peter Thornton puts in a very patient and exhaustive effort, and the OP marks his own 'thank-you' response as the answer :)

Ha! Those are the worst!

Okay, I replied with my usual request for the Asker to mark an answer.

LOL that worked...

Sort of, now the OP has marked every post as the answer, including posts from you asking him to mark posts as answers. This must now rank as the most answered thread in the forum :)

Ed Ferrero
    www.edferrero.com

Sunday, February 26, 2012 9:55 AM
  • I have, perhaps, a related question. What exactly is the role of an Answerer? To answer, or to mark answers? Obviously both are done, but what is the role intended for.

I guess i'd just like guidelines.

Monday, February 27, 2012 1:11 PM
  • FWIW, the only powers over any other participant that I have are to Mark as Answers, or to UnMark as Answers and UnMark as Proposed answers, (as appropriate).

Other than that, I see no difference in the interface on my forums.

Monday, February 27, 2012 2:27 PM
    Answerer
  • That's true, but I think Brian asked for more general guidelines as what to do with this status. I personally use this power rarely (when I see that marked answer is wrong or some correct replies are not marked or when I am 100% certain that some reply is the answer). I don't go through forum's threads and mark replies, as, for example, Kalman does.

Ed sent me an e-mail with long list of rules for the Answerers (some even more strict than for moderators). He can probably sent the same list to you as well if he knows your e-mail.

My blog

Monday, February 27, 2012 3:05 PM
  • Thanx!
    Monday, February 27, 2012 3:17 PM
  • That's true, but I think Brian asked for more general guidelines as what to do with this status. I personally use this power rarely (when I see that  He can probably sent the same list to you as well if he knows your e-mail.

It would be better if he sent them through the PM system? that way there's no need for email and spam-trapping :)

Monday, February 27, 2012 3:30 PM
    Answerer
  • You mean WHEN this feature will be implemented - sure :)

My blog

Monday, February 27, 2012 3:33 PM
  • LOL! - forgot, it's active in Answerss, but not here :)

Monday, February 27, 2012 3:43 PM
    Answerer
  • Heh. I sent email to Ed.

Monday, February 27, 2012 4:14 PM