none
Unable to Add New Hard Drive RRS feed

• Question

• I have searched for answers and remain stumped. A fairly simple issue I would bet but all suggestions I have been able to find produce unsuccessful results.

Current:

2 500GB Drives (came with server)

Added one 1.5TB Seagate ST315003 41AS Disk about a year plus ago, absolutely no issues

Attempting to add one more drive in last slot - Seagate 1 TB ST310005 N1A1AS-RK

Issue: Unable to select the 'Add' button in Server Storage, Ran Disk Mgmt and it appears fine,
    did a 'clean' on new disk from command prompt in Diskpart tool. it ran successfully.

WHS Server Storage tool will not recognize the new drive. When inserting into server, light does not come on after a few seconds after insert. I am able to everything successfully in Disk Mgmt Tool, Initialize, partition, format etc. WHS still will not recognize.

Any one have any ideas?

StanF

StanF
    Thursday, December 9, 2010 6:07 AM

All replies

• Unpartitioned disks may not show up in server storage as available to be added to the storage pool, so try partitioning the drive through the Disk Management MMC snap-in, then restart your server. (If the drive was bought from e.g. Newegg, it may be an OEM "bare" drive, which probably hasn't been partitioned.)

Failing that, you can contact the OEM (HP?) for support.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 2:01 PM