none
AMD 740G based mobo for WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I'm going to change my AM2 mobo for a new one with more sata ports.  I'm currently using a cheap foxconn VIA based board with 2 sata ports.  I like the look of the  GA-MA74GM-S2H

Its only £40 at ebuyer and seems a good price for a branded board with 6 sata ports.  Anyone have issues using an AMD/ATi based board?  I read the thread on the 690G. 

I can't seem to find drivers on the AMD website and i can't see Server 2k3 drivers on Gigabytes website.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 2:56 PM

All replies

• If you cannot find server 2003 drivers, you might be able to use XP drivers. However, this is a server with your possibly important documents stored on it. Do you really want to be chasing down nebulous problems will will likely arise?

As you haven't bought a board yet, I certainly would advise you to look for a more server orientated board, and don't be blinded by the 6 SATA ports.

Colin 

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 4:56 PM
  • I don't really want to spend too much money, so server oriented boards aren;t really an option.  In terms of reliability gigabyte use top quality capacitors and I've had £200 boards last 2 weeks and £30 boards last 5 years so that's not an issue.  Although i assume you're referring to driver availability, which is a concern.  As the motherboard is so cheap i'm tempted to try it, the worst comes to the worst it'll head for ebay.

After some research it seems the 740G is the 690G northbridge with the new southbridge with support for more I/O etc.  People seemed to get the 690G going with no problems alhtough i might have to use some newer chipset drivers for the southbridge, could get messy.
    Tuesday, June 24, 2008 6:33 PM
  • Well, i've ordered this board along with another couple of hard disks.  (samsung 500gb for £38!! in VAT new).  Once i've got it installed i'll post back.   i think if everything goes smooth it would be an excellent WHS board, 6 SATA and gigabit ethernet for £40.  
    Wednesday, June 25, 2008 8:01 PM
  • I installed the new mobo, worked first time.  It's a bit dodgey changing a motherboard without an OS reinstall but i live for danger Wink  Seems stable and i've got loads of SATA ports. Big Smile  Also changing the motherbaord didn;t seem to trigger a microsoft activation. 

I'm running the hard drives in native IDE mode, and standard microsoft drivers, dated 2002.  Should i try and force the AMD ones on the system.   When i run the southbridge installer it doesn;t install controller drivers.  I think i'd have to pus them on it by force, if there is any advantage in using them?  Write speed maxes out my 100mb/s network so i might let sleeping dogs lie.

Friday, June 27, 2008 3:58 PM