2011 maps aerials and birdseyes are at least 5 years old, and appear to be no more up to date than 2009 for built-up suburbs of a major metro area. RRS feed

• General discussion

• 2011 maps aerials and birdseyes are at least 5 years old, and appear to be no more up to date than 2009 for built-up suburbs of a major metro area.
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 7:35 PM

All replies

• Yeah, I think your estimate may be quite accurate, at least for some areas. We moved to our present house about 5 years ago, and we planted a cherry tree in our backyard shortly after the move. When I look at the tree in the areal maps, it in no way looks like it does now. It's much smaller, and it very much resembles what it looked like 5 years ago when first planted. ;-)

The cost of updating areal imagery must be quite high (and the cost to users = $0).

Laptop GPS World

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 9:31 PM
  • I agree.  I just upgraded from 2009 to 2011 and have not found any updated roads on the regular map.  For example, Metro Park Drive in Alexandria, VA does not show at all . . . and there are some nice tall office buildings on both sides of the street.  I found it with Google Maps.

It also seems like some of the restaurants have disappeared.

Friday, July 15, 2011 1:10 PM