Windows Update Powershell Module force updates online from Microsoft Update RRS feed

• Question

• I am using the Windows Update Powershell Module, and it is working.  The server I am using it on checks for updates against our internal WSUS server, unfortunately our internal WSUS server is currently not working.  From a server with a GUI when I run windows updates I can select the option "Check online for updates from Microsoft Update" and just retrieve them from an external source.  Which leads me to my question.  How can i force the Windows Update Powershell Module to check for updates from microsoft rather than our internal source?  I realize I can change GPO on my server to go to external by default, but i'm hoping there is a switch I can use with the Windows Update Powershell Module to temporarily source updates from MS rather than my internal server.
    • Moved by Bill_Stewart Tuesday, May 12, 2015 8:31 PM This is not a support forum for gallery scripts
    Friday, April 10, 2015 4:07 PM

All replies

• You can contact the author of the script by posting on the QandA tab of the Gallery item:

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/2d191bcd-3308-4edd-9de2-88dff796b0bc/view/Discussions#content

Perhaps someone here will be familiar enough with the module to help you, but your best bet is to try the direct method.

Don't retire TechNet! - (Don't give up yet - 13,225+ strong and growing)

Friday, April 10, 2015 4:17 PM
  • Thank you, I will post there as well.
    Friday, April 10, 2015 4:19 PM
  • The easiest way is to set the policy in Group Policy.  It can be unset once your WSUS is fixed.

You need to manually purge and index WSUS periodically or it will stop working.  The last bad one I fixed had filled up a 330Gb drive and crashed WSUS, IIS and the maintenance hub as well as making the server extremely slow.  It took three days of queries and purges to fix it but it now runs nicely.

Post in WSUS forum for advice on how t manage your WSUS server and for the location of the repair tools.

The GP settings can be easily set by creating a new policy with the MS connection and disabling the policy for WSUS.  When WSUS is fixed just re-enable the WSUS policy(s) and disable the temporary policy.

\_(ツ)_/

Friday, April 10, 2015 5:14 PM
  • Rather than change group policy I was looking for a way to make the change on the fly.  This is built into the windows GUI.  From the GUI if I run windows updates it finds nothing from my internal source (expected), but then I have a clickable hyperlink to "Check for updates from Microsoft Update". I am looking for a command line way to do that.
    Friday, April 10, 2015 5:20 PM
  • You cannot override Group Policy with a script.  You need to change GP as I noted above.  You can use the update utility at the server to force an update  cycle however the GP for WSUS will just override this.   I see no access to the override that can be run remotely.  You would need to schedule the updater to run as a task on each machine assuming the GP in effect allows this to be done.

\_(ツ)_/

Friday, April 10, 2015 6:24 PM
  • I don't understand why people think they are answering the question when they actually are simply diverting the discussion from the original question. Yes, I have exactly the same question as the original post, and also yours, Kyle.

Original post does not ask if the GP can be changed through script. The question is whether there is an option for the script to select where to search for the updates, as Windows GUI has the option. If that is not available, the answer should simply be "unfortunately, NO". Giving unrelated answer simply diverts the discussion and hard to seek the answer we are looking for.

Friday, July 12, 2019 5:04 AM
  • I don't understand why people think they are answering the question when they actually are simply diverting the discussion from the original question. Yes, I have exactly the same question as the original post, and also yours, Kyle.

Original post does not ask if the GP can be changed through script. The question is whether there is an option for the script to select where to search for the updates, as Windows GUI has the option. If that is not available, the answer should simply be "unfortunately, NO". Giving unrelated answer simply diverts the discussion and hard to seek the answer we are looking for.

This topic is many years old and has been removed from the forum.

You are answering a question that has been placed I the trash bin. Please read the name at the top of this forum.

before criticizing you should carefully read the forum rules and read the whole topic thread.   A good technical background in computing and Windows would also be helpful.

\_(ツ)_/

• Edited by jrv Friday, July 12, 2019 5:13 AM
    Friday, July 12, 2019 5:13 AM