No Problems!!! RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

I have been running PP1 since its public beta release.  It installed without a problem on my OEM version. I have done a number of the requested tests and a few stress tests of my own without a hitch. My only question of the WHS Team was answered quickly and help me build my knowledge base.  The corruption issue was also an early WHS adoption problem of mine. All my corruption identified programs/files but one seem to be running without corruption.  The remaining program/file issue seems to be the result of the program and not WHS.

I am pushing WHS; running SMTP, SQL and DotNetNuke.  Initially WHS with PP1 caused some irritation with DNN.  Patience paid off and everything is now running smoothly.

I want to thank the WHS Team for a good job.  I was really disappointed with the initial release but this one should live up to the Microsoft Advertising hype.    

Monday, June 16, 2008 9:19 PM

All replies

• Same experience here. This was a really easy install and the connector upgrade on the three computers here also went faultlessly. I've tried several of the "tests" also with zero problems occuring, still need to try several others. Gear here is a Dell Poweredge 2650 dual 2.8's, 2 gig of ram, 5- 146 hd's. Server also seems to run faster than it did before the updates... is this possible or am I imagining this? At any rate... A big pat on the back to all who were involved in this!

Mark

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 3:29 AM
  • I have also had a good experience so far. Installed PP1 beta without a hitch on my custom-built WHS box (Intel P4 2.4ghz, 1.5 gig ram). Have 5 drives total for just over 1 TB. Installed the connector on my main workstation in Vista Ultimate x64 w/SP1 which I am dual- booting alongside XP SP3 and on two other XP machines also without problem. So far, I've added external drives for server backups and everything does seem A LOT faster. Especially file copy times and the time it takes for the console to connect and open up.
    Tuesday, June 17, 2008 1:56 PM
  • I have had nothing but positive results with PP1!!!  I am running a homebuilt WHS with a Intel 3210SL Server Board, Dual Core Xeon Processor, 4 GB of DDR2 800 memory, 12 Seagate 500GB HD and 3 VFD displays (to monitor system states 24/7).  I have over 1TB of uncompressed DVD's (I own em) 500GB of Windows Loseless Audio Files, and over 500GB of system files.  I have added an extra 2 500GB drives using Esata connectors.  When the corruption issue first raised it's ugly head it hit me pretty hard, so I reloaded and only had one drive for WHS and shared the others using standard share practices and over the last week have been copying then migrating my disks.  I also backed up over 300GB worth of files at a time to my two external SATA disks and not one hitch!!  I have 6 computers doing full backups and shareing audio and video files with the OS's ranging from WINXP Pro, WINXP Media center 2005, Vista Home Premium, and Vista Ultimate.  As a test I even had all 6 running uncompressed HD movies simultaneously and not one hiccup.  My Roku is also performing flawlessly.  My hats off two the WHS team, this is what a good product is about and now I am pushing it to familly and friends.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 3:13 AM
  • I could not agree more!  I have reasonably new build hosting 5.5T of pool storage (4x750 gig, 1 500 gig, and 2x 1T drives) and everything is running as it should.  All balancing issues have disappeared and the performance seems overall better.  I am now able to back up the two 64 bit machines as well as the other 4 32 bit machines on my network so I am real happy about that.  I am in the process of setting up one more internal drive for a server backup of critical data and look forward to testing that out.  I was pretty happy before and now I am thrilled.  The WHS team did a great responding to the problem and result is outstanding.  The only thinng missing is the final release as I have always had a psychological problem about running beta versions becuase I am the conservative and cautious type.

Great job guys and keep the updates coming......

Mike

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 4:45 AM
  • Totally agree with the comments in this thread. My WHS is also a custom built box with the OEM software. The main difference for me was that my pre PP1 WHS was in such a bad state due to the various bugs that I decided on a complete rebuild. Thankfully I had backed up my content some time ago so after a quick sync of the data using Synctoy between the WHS and the backup media, I then trashed and rebuilt the whole system from scratch. With over 600GB of data restored I have not had a single problem with drive space or permissions and the stability is rock solid.

Finally this product is starting to look like what it should have been in the first place.

Cheers
    Mike

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 7:44 AM
  • Very little problems...

Nice product, but far from finished.   Hopefully we will have a way to backup whs "c:" sometime before WHS V2 is launched.  Or have the product work "out the box" with Windows mobile instead of having to find an add-in that we don't know. 

Allowing Microsoft "mesh" to install on whs would be cool as well...

I sound a bit disappointed, but I'm not... I build software for a living so I know there was a lot of hard work behind this release... I don't underestimate the amount of work and dedication the entire WHS team put into the product...  And I appreciate them.  But the fact is this product is far from finished....

Friday, June 20, 2008 5:07 AM