login to network from windows 8 RRS feed

• Question

• I have an app that uses data on a windows 7 machine. I setup a shared folder and the app uses the data in the folder. This worked find until my users laptop was updated to Windows 8.1 Pro. It uses his e-mail address as his user name. So he couldn't access the shared folder because the new username is not allowed on the Windows 7 machine. So I tried to enter the new username on the windows 7 machine and it wouldn't let me because there were too many characters in the e-mail address. So I tried to use an alternate username and password from the user's laptop, but I can't get that option to come up in the new windows pro 8.1. Is there a way to login with a different username and password from windows 8.1? It doesn't prompt me but simply says I don't have permission. Anyway what seemed to be a simple problem has become a real nightmare. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to solve this? 
    • Moved by Caillen Monday, December 30, 2013 8:59 AM
    Saturday, December 28, 2013 5:55 PM

Answers

All replies

• This does not sounds like your C# problem.

Ask the person who made the Win 7 works should be able to make Win 8 works.

It is basically the share, permission or perhaps firewall issues.

chanmm 

chanmm

Sunday, December 29, 2013 1:53 AM
  • Hi David32

You can turn off password protected sharing in your windows 7 machine at "Control Panel\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings".

After this it will not ask for login.

Well Visual C# is not the right forum for your issue.

Sunday, December 29, 2013 2:44 PM
  • Hi David32,

Thank you for visiting the MSDN forum.

I’m afraid that it is not the correct forum about this issue, since this forum is to discuss Visual C#. I am moving your question to the moderator forum ("Where is the forum for..?"). The owner of the forum will direct you to a right forum. Thanks for your understanding.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, December 30, 2013 8:59 AM
  • I'd probably ask them over here.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1?tab=Threads

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Just Karl Monday, December 30, 2013 2:58 PM
    • Marked as answer by Just Karl Monday, January 6, 2014 7:17 PM
    Monday, December 30, 2013 10:44 AM