Restore succeeds/fails depending on how you fix the" BOOTMGR is missing" message. RRS feed

• Question

• Now that I have WHS 2011 installed and a few computers backed up I thought that I would try a restore, since it would be embarrassing to have all of these backups and not be able to restore anything. I used the client restore disk to restore a brand new backup of a Win7 machine to a new hard disk. Eventually (it took several hours for just the basic Win7 install to be recovered, it is very slow) it said that it had restored the drive successfully. It was too optimistic as the reboot  came up with the error "BOOTMGR is missing press CTL-ALT-DEL to restart" which gave the same message each time it tried to boot. By using the Win7 install disk to repair the installation I was able to get things working again.

My question is has anyone else had this happen? Does anyone know why it occurred? Does anyone know how to avoid this if I should ever have to restore a system for real?

Thanks.

Mike

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 10:13 PM

All replies

• On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 22:13:56 +0000, mform wrote:

Now that I have WHS 2011 installed and a few computers backed up I thought that I would try a restore, since it would be embarrassing to have all of these backups and not be able to restore anything. I used the client restore disk to restore a brand new backup of a Win7 machine to a new hard disk. Eventually (it took several hours for just the basic Win7 install to be recovered, it is very slow) it said that it had restored the drive successfully. It was too optimistic as the reboot? came up with the error "BOOTMGR is missing press CTL-ALT-DEL to restart" which gave the same message each time it tried to boot. By using the Win7 install disk to repair the installation I was able to get things working again.

My question is has anyone else had this happen? Does anyone know why it occurred? Does anyone know how to avoid this if I should ever have to restore a system for real?

Have you modified the default backup settings at all? From the description
    it sounds like the either the default 100 MB system partition was not
    backed up, or was not restored. In a default Windows 7 install, that's
    where you'll find the boot loader.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    BPI: A 1960s term used to describe unmentionable parts of the anatomy, as
    in "you bet your bpi".

• Proposed as answer by Ken Warren Wednesday, July 13, 2011 1:49 PM
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 8:03 AM
  • I have also seen this problem when the original system has/had it's own "Recovery" or "Restore" partition. If this partition is not also restored (if it's not NTFS it won't be backed up), then the bootfiles will be incorrect. Windows 7 Startup Repair" is the easiest way to repair that, although there are other methods.

Good Luck

JohnBrown

Halifax, NS

Sunday, August 7, 2011 7:58 PM