Domain Score: 5; Page Score: 5; Ranking: Terrible! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

my site www.adi.tv has domain and page scores of 5, yet our ranking is terrible!  I've tested the site against our keywords in the Webmaster Tools Keywords Tool and most of the pages score a 5 against, for example, "LED Screens".  However, type "LED Screens" into msn.com and we're not even in the first 10 pages.

I don't really understand why this is the case?  How can I have the highest score for that keyword, yet not show up for it?

Could it be to do with my domain region?  As it's a .tv domain, msn sees it as tv region in Webmaster Tools.  Indeed, if I type "led screens loc:tv" into msn.com, we come up first and second.  Could this be affecting our global searched that badly?  Even so, my region shouldn't be linked to the page score and i would have thought I would rank better...

If so, how can I get msn to change the region to gb?  There doesn't seem to be much consensus on these forums; I'm thinking of adding
    <meta http-equiv="content-language" content="en-gb"> to each page - can anyone confirm if this will help?

So... 

1. Is the page score of any value at all?  Am I wrong in expecting it to correlate with decent rankings?
    2. Is my region affecting my rankings badly?  Is there any way I can change it in msn?
    3. Could there be something else that is affecting this that I'm not aware of?  MSN Webmaster Tools doesn't seem to indicate this...

thanks, and merry christmas!
      °<|Smile

Ol
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 12:55 PM

Answers

• Only that it is fairly close to duplicate content. However, I have learned a few things since then and I don't believe the other site will cause an issue.

Cheers!

Brett 

Monday, January 19, 2009 6:26 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The page/domain score is to give you an idea of how authoritative we think the page is, but it does not directly corelate with SERP rankings due to many other factors.

I think there might be a couple things in play that could be causing you issues. Possibly some issue with your other domain, theadigroup.com, which is ranking #5 in regular search, but I think you hit the nail on the head with the target market. Since .tv is for an island way out in the middle of the pacific, you probably will see better results if you add the meta tag.

Cheers!

Brett

Tuesday, December 23, 2008 6:04 PM
  •  

Hi Brett and happy new year!

Many thanks for your response - I'll try adding the meta tag to each page and hope that it helps things...

You mention there may be some issue with our other domain theadigroup.com which ranks highly?  I must admit I hadn't considered this at all as content on each site is unique, so would be interested to hear how it might affect our ranking for adi.tv? 

thanks!

Ol

Monday, January 5, 2009 8:46 AM
  • Only that it is fairly close to duplicate content. However, I have learned a few things since then and I don't believe the other site will cause an issue.

Cheers!

Brett 

Monday, January 19, 2009 6:26 PM