U3 enabled flash drive won't work unless firewall is off. RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello,

Yesterday I notices that I could not update.  After several attempts to correct the problem, the only way I could come up with was to upgrade to OneCareLive ver. 2.0.2500.22.  I did this and now my U3 enabled flash drive applications will not work unless I turn off the firewall.  I do not see a way to get the firewall to allow the U3's traffic.  I turn off the firewall, everything works well.  I turn it on and none of the U3 apps work.  They cannot connect to the Internet.

Does anyone know how I should configure the firewall settings to allow the U3 drive apps to work?  I use it for business and need some of the applications. 

Your help is appreicated.

Target

Monday, February 11, 2008 4:36 PM

Answers

All replies

• I'm not familiar with the specific U3 apps you may be running, but I suspect that you will need to add an exception to the Firewall for each application's exe file to allow access to the Internet. If you need help with this, please contact OneCare support - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, February 11, 2008 4:55 PM
  • Hi Steve,

Thank you for your quick reply. 

I have looked for those apps (firefox, an ftp services, a security app, etc) and they do not appear in the firewall list.  I am not at all versed on how a U3 flash works with it's security feature, but in the apps folder there are only folders that contain a long string of charaters and numbers.  Here is the path for the Firefox browser on the flash drive - G:\System\Apps\3C9F7B3F-D55C-42cd-8537-B878518B73AF.  There are no executable files that I can access on the U3 drive and clear on the OneCareLive Firewall settings. 

I am sure this works like the rest, it gives me a start menu (like windows) of the U3 apps.  I select Firefox for example and it runs from the U3 flash drive.  Same with my version of FileZilla.  

Maybe a better question would be: how do I open the USB port to the Internet?  Since this is where the applications reside. 

Target

Monday, February 11, 2008 6:36 PM
  • It isn't a USB issue - it is apparently whatever layer of security lives on the U3 drive. You don't add a USB port to the firewall exception list, you allow specific applications to have access based on their executable and location, plus whatever ports and/or protocol they need to use if it is a special port or protocol.

Since many people use these devices, I would be surprised if support hasn't encountered this before. if the tech you reach does not have the answers, make sure you request that the problem/inquiry be escalated.

-steve

Monday, February 11, 2008 6:58 PM
  • Let me also mention that I did not have this problem on the older version of OneCare.  I has only happened since I upgraded. 

Target

Monday, February 11, 2008 7:16 PM
  • That's good information, Target. Please report back what you hear from support and I'm going to unmark the thread as being answered and hope to get it looked at by the OneCare team.

-steve

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 1:39 AM
  • additional information:

"One drawback of U3 drives is that they try to install their software on the PC they're connected to. Our company's network is locked down to stop unauthorised software being installed onto PCs on the network. This therefore renders U3 drives useless and prevents you from displaying your big presentation, unless you saved a backup copy somewhere other than your U3 drive."

source: http://windowssecrets.com/comp/071025

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 4:52 PM