At hardware limits :( RRS feed

• Question

• I have reached the limits of my hardware...

Box is out of space, my latest drive is laying on the bottom of the case

MB is out of PCI slots and apparently won't handle 2T drives and bios upgrade process is more difficult than i could have ever imagined.

Power supply is probably near it's limits.

To the moderator that told me to upgrade to all new equipment instead of using a bunch of old equipment... you told me so :)

I just put in yet another 1T drive, which gains me several months to a year.  I might get away with adding one more 1T drive, but that will absolutely be the limit.

It's time to start considering moving forward.  What is the best method to upgrade to all new hardware, and is there an upgrade planned for WHS?

Friday, March 25, 2011 10:05 PM

All replies

• Do you have any USB ports available?

I ran out of internal drive bays over a year ago, I've been using one of these since then, with 3 drives inside currently

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817576001&cm_re=mediasonic-_-17-576-001-_-Product

It holds 4 SATA drives up to 2tb each.  That would give you some breathing room. 

And when you upgrade to a new machine and that runs out of drive cages you can just take it with you.

Thursday, March 31, 2011 2:43 PM
  • It's time to start considering moving forward.  What is the best method to upgrade to all new hardware, and is there an upgrade planned for WHS?

You might consider to upgrade to WHS 2011
    If so, make sure your hardware has support (drivers) for Windows server 2008 (64-bits)

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Saturday, April 2, 2011 9:15 PM
  • Almost a year later, I'm down to my last 170G in drive space :(

Priced out an upgrade today, more then I want to spend right now... plus drive prices have gone through the roof!  Going to take another look to see if I can somehow swap out one of the two port cards for a four port card.  But that means turning off file dup :(  That or try using a USB port and a drive housing.  I have a single drive housing, just don't know if it will handle a 2T drive or not.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 2:15 AM
  • My first recommendation would be for all new hardware and Windows Home Server 2011, though it will have it's own set of issues to contend with. In the long run it's cheaper, and is likely to run for longer.

Failing that... If you have drives that are smaller than the maximum size your hardware will accept, you can eke out a little more life by replacing those drives. You would do so by connecting a new drive via USB (I would use a bare drive USB bridge, rather than an external enclosure), adding that drive to server storage, then removing one of the smaller drives. Finally, swap the drive you just added to server storage into your case in place of the smaller drive. The reason I don't recommend this (other than the whole Frankenserver thing, which I recommended against a year or so ago, I'd bet) is that it's a lot of work, given the age of your hardware it may not extend the life of your server by much, and you'll spend significant money for disks that, really, you don't want in the long run.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 3:21 PM
  • Thank you ken.

One thing that may help me is to go to a 4 port SATA adapter card like http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0259608

I believe I have (3) 2 port SATA cards in the system, with 5(6?) 1T drives, plus the OS on a 80G parallel drive.  If I could get past my employers firewall, I could log on to the server and check for sure...

Can I just pull one of the 2 port cards and put in a different card, or do I need to dismount the drives first?

I priced out building a new server and even staying with reasonable performance, still came up with $750, with $250 of that being a 2T drive.  But, to add another 1T drive to the current system seems like a waste of time and money.  It's definitely getting old, but it works seamlessly :)

One last question, could the new server also serve as a media player to feed my entertainment unit?  I'm currently using an older D-Link which is at times a PITA.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 4:24 PM
  • Replacing HBAs: usually this will be seamless, since Windows Home Server uses a signature it places on the disk to identify drives. But every now and then it doesn't work out. However, just adding drives seems like it would be next best thing to impossible even after you swap HBAs, since you say your case is full already.

Drives: you can do better than $250. Look on Newegg.

Media player: no. DLNA compliant media server, yes. So any DLNA client (Xbox, PS3, most media players, a surprising number of TVs and BluRay players, etc.) will probably be able to consume data from it.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 5:57 PM
  • Also, what is filling your disk space?

Client backups or stuff in Shared folders?

If client backups, you could pick a machine, which has a lot of changing content (for me it was recently a server with WSUS content database), exclude the non critical folders from backup and remove all previous backups of this machine at next backup database cleanup. You can also do for ancient backups of machines, which have a lot of changes and are not needed any more.

If shared files - clean them manually up, disable duplication for irrelevant stuff and do not forget to have external backups from important stuff.

This may gain you a month or so more.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, February 1, 2012 3:43 PM