How to user tombstone in order to recover deleted data? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
       I´m using MSF 2.0 wih sqlserver 2008. I use the STANDARD version of sql on the server side, and the EXPRESS version on the client side. I would like to know how to use the tombstone features in order to be able to recover deleted information from the server.

Thanks in advance
    Paola
    • Moved by Max Wang_1983 Thursday, April 21, 2011 12:26 AM forum consolidation (From:SyncFx - Technical Discussion [ReadOnly])
    Friday, September 25, 2009 3:16 PM

Answers

• when a row from a table is deleted, the tracking metadata provided by the Sync service doesn't really there for recovery purpose, instead, its purpose is to track the delete so that it can be sync-ed to the other peers ( or clients ).

if you do want to persist all the info about the deleted rows, one way to achieve it is to alter the trigger so that you can put the deleted row into a real "tombstone table" where the entire row was saved.

thanks

Yunwen

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 12:53 AM

All replies

• Hi,
      Does anybody know about this? or shall i implement a custom recovery system with delete triggers in all tables that throw the deleted records to a "backup table" in the database?

Thanks
    Paola
    Friday, October 2, 2009 3:52 PM
  • are you using the shipped db sync providers ?

thanks
    Yunwen
    Monday, October 5, 2009 9:43 AM
  • Hi,
      I´m using SqlSyncProvider.

Thanks
    Paola
    Monday, October 5, 2009 12:32 PM
  • when a row from a table is deleted, the tracking metadata provided by the Sync service doesn't really there for recovery purpose, instead, its purpose is to track the delete so that it can be sync-ed to the other peers ( or clients ).

if you do want to persist all the info about the deleted rows, one way to achieve it is to alter the trigger so that you can put the deleted row into a real "tombstone table" where the entire row was saved.

thanks

Yunwen

Tuesday, October 6, 2009 12:53 AM
  • Ok, so i´ll implement it in that way.
    Thanks!!!
    Paola

Wednesday, October 7, 2009 8:01 PM