Minimum Hardware Requirements for WHS RRS feed

• Question

• What is the minimum hardware (CPU, RAM, HD) required for WHS?  I ask because I have several older PCs and would prefer to use one if it is feasible.
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 5:03 PM

Answers

• The Getting Started Guide, available on the Microsoft web site, has complete details, but briefly:
    • 1 GHz P3 or greater
    • 512 MB RAM
    • 70GB+ hard drive
    • 100 MB network interface
    You will also need a DVD drive, a keyboard, a mouse, and a monitor for the installation. All of those may be removed after installation.

I wouldn't recommend installing on older hardware other than as a test to see if you like the product. Older hardware may be on the verge of failing for a variety of reasons.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 5:56 PM

All replies

• The Getting Started Guide, available on the Microsoft web site, has complete details, but briefly:
    • 1 GHz P3 or greater
    • 512 MB RAM
    • 70GB+ hard drive
    • 100 MB network interface
    You will also need a DVD drive, a keyboard, a mouse, and a monitor for the installation. All of those may be removed after installation.

I wouldn't recommend installing on older hardware other than as a test to see if you like the product. Older hardware may be on the verge of failing for a variety of reasons.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 5:56 PM
  • Thanks for the prompt answer.
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 6:24 PM
  • Hi,

I'm not sure if the specs are officially released but for WHS 'Vail' it is reported as:

2 GHz x64 processor
    1 GB of RAM
    At least one 120 GB hard drive (NTFS is the only supported file system)

Just incase you are doing a new homebuild

Sam
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 3:26 PM
  • Hi,

I'm not sure if the specs are officially released but for WHS 'Vail' it is reported as:

2 GHz x64 processor
    1 GB of RAM
    At least one 120 GB hard drive (NTFS is the only supported file system)

Just incase you are doing a new homebuild

Sam

sorry but Vail's HDD requirement is a 160gb hdd and not a 120gb
    HMG
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 9:41 PM
  • ... sorry but Vail's HDD requirement is ...
    A quick observation for those who are posting about Vail: either you've obtained Vail from an approved channel, in which case you're violating your NDA to talk about it publicly, or you've obtained it illegally (i.e. from a torrent), in which case I don't know how wise it is to discuss it in an official Microsoft forum, them being really unhappy about the leak and all.

Just sayin'...

And for the OP: given that there is no public beta version of a future version of Windows Home Server at this time, it's safe to say that it won't be released any time soon. Don't buy hardware for something that might not hit the streets for months.

Saturday, February 6, 2010 11:49 PM
  • And for the OP: ... Don't buy hardware for something that might not hit the streets for months.
    The OP obviously prefers not to buy hardware but, if that ends up being the case, might as well buy something likely to be capable of running Vail. Overshooting the anticipated minimum adds nominally to that cost and increases the likelihood of meeting the minimum specs, as released.

Just sayin'...
    Sunday, February 7, 2010 5:48 PM