Backup file RRS feed

• Question

• I back up automatically to an external hard drive. I have noticed the file is huge---135GB. Why is it so large? Can I make it smaller?

Friday, June 6, 2008 2:37 AM

Answers

• Backup in OneCare is incremental. That means that every time you run backup, it adds new and changed files to the location - old copies are not overwritten or removed. It will continue to do this until the drive runs out of space. At that point, you can start over, deleting your backups and starting a new full backup.

You may also wish to review the *what* is being backed up in your backup plan. You may be backing up much more data than you really want to.

-steve

Saturday, June 7, 2008 12:55 AM

All replies

• Backup in OneCare is incremental. That means that every time you run backup, it adds new and changed files to the location - old copies are not overwritten or removed. It will continue to do this until the drive runs out of space. At that point, you can start over, deleting your backups and starting a new full backup.

You may also wish to review the *what* is being backed up in your backup plan. You may be backing up much more data than you really want to.

-steve

Saturday, June 7, 2008 12:55 AM
  • Thanks for your response. Could I just delete the entire backup file and start over again with another backup today? I can't figure out how it got so huge. I never save critical files in the C: drive. That's what it's backing up, right?

Saturday, June 7, 2008 7:22 PM
  • Sorry for the delay in responding, I've been away from the forums for a few days.

Yes, you can delete your backups and start over. No, it is not backing up the C drive, it is backing up data files as specified by the "what" in the backup plan.

See this post for how to delete backups: http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1698096&SiteID=2

And to reset your backup plan and configure it to only backup the file types and locations that you desire, do the following:

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click Configure Backup

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

Go back to the backup tab, configure backup and click Change Settings in the lower left once again.

Select your PC and click.

Click Turn on backup

Select the change location link and select the drive you want to use for backup

Modify the schedule as desired for "When"

Select the file types as desired for "What"

Click next and save the revised plan with the new selection.

-steve

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 9:12 PM