Port Multiplier Advice RRS feed

• Question

• Looking to add one to my system in the near future, I would need an 8 port.

Anyone using one succesfully? Recommendations?

Thanks in advance

Saturday, December 29, 2007 8:49 PM

All replies

• I've got a Rosewill RC213 card in my system, but I don't have the end system (drives/multiplier) to hook it up and test it yet.  The card went in fine and identified the single drive I connected to it.  I can't wait to give multiple drives a run on it.  Maybe by mid-January.
    Saturday, December 29, 2007 11:48 PM
  •  Pansonsito wrote:

Looking to add one to my system in the near future, I would need an 8 port.

Anyone using one succesfully? Recommendations?

Thanks in advance

I'm using multiple Sil3726 port multipliers in my system with Sil3124 based cards and it works great. The XP/2000 work perfectly fine on WHS.

caution: Most multipliers are shipped with the older BIOS, make sure you update the BIOS on the multipliers as well as on the HBAs themselves.

Sunday, December 30, 2007 12:03 AM
  • I have the HP MSS so I was actually looking for one of the units that feature the full enclosure etc. Does anyone have experience with one with 8 bays?

Cheers

Sunday, December 30, 2007 1:55 AM
  • Panson, per the Serial ATA I/O organization, a single port will theoretically support up to 15 drives through a port multiplier. However, the only external enclosures I've seen with more than 5 bays use multiple port multipliers, usually one per 4 or 5 bays.

Can you provide a link to one of the 8 bay enclosures you're thinking about?
    Sunday, December 30, 2007 4:03 AM
  •  

Ken,

After doing more research it appears that the 8 Bay units have 2 eSata connections on the back of them splitting them 4/4 the HP box has 1 eSata connection. Is there a way to daisy chain these..? I have seen port multpier units such as this http://www.addonics.com/products/host_controller/ad5sapm-e.asp or this http://www.sataport.com/. could I then connect up to 5 5-Bay portmultiplier boxes to them?

Reason being is I have 4 500GB harddrives sitting around doing nothing and I don't want to fill all the available slots with these small drives.. need the additional empty spots for future expansion, HD Movies take tons of space.

Cheers

Sunday, December 30, 2007 12:11 PM
  • As far as I know there's no way to daisy chain port multipliers. Certainly the documentation on that site I linked doesn't suggest it's possible. But I haven't tried it. If you give it a go, I'd be interested to know what the results are.
    Sunday, December 30, 2007 3:00 PM
  • I've experimented with this, (chaining,) and it didn't work. I think it might well depend on the chip set being used though, mine was a 'no-name' board with a Sil 3132 multiplier-aware eSata board feeding into a 5-bay storage unit. I tried chaining another 5-bay storage unit from the original with no success - it just wasn't seen. I exchanged the eSata board with a dual eSata board, both ports being multiplier aware, so ended up with each 5-bay unit being fed separately. WHS was quite happy with that.

Colin

Sunday, December 30, 2007 6:14 PM
  •  ColinWH wrote:

I've experimented with this, (chaining,) and it didn't work. I think it might well depend on the chip set being used though, mine was a 'no-name' board with a Sil 3132 multiplier-aware eSata board feeding into a 5-bay storage unit. I tried chaining another 5-bay storage unit from the original with no success - it just wasn't seen. I exchanged the eSata board with a dual eSata board, both ports being multiplier aware, so ended up with each 5-bay unit being fed separately. WHS was quite happy with that.

Colin

For a port multiplier to be "recognized", it requires a PM aware HOST. So, daisy chaining port multipliers will never work as a port multiplier cannot issues the needed FIS commands to initialize a port multiplier, it can only receive those commands to initialize itself.

According to spec, a SATA port on a PM aware card, can support "up to 15 downstream ports on a single port multiplier", but no vendors have released such cards or port multipliers. The maximum is 5 ports currently.

Monday, December 31, 2007 2:20 PM
  • If you are looking for a 4x1 eSATA/USB Hardware Port Multiplier (HPM) that is OS independent and will work with any eSATA port, consider the 4-port SATA integrated HPM with an Oxford OXUFS936QSE chipset. RAID mode selection is done using a rotary switch and setup is completed by pressing a raid setting button. Once configured all is needed is to connect the HPM to your system via USB 2.0 or eSATA and detect, partition & mount the RAID volume.

RAID mode supported are FAST2 (2 drive RAID 0 Striping),, SAFE2 (RAID1 Mirroring), SAFE FAST (RAID 1+0 Mirrored Stripped), BIG 2 (2 drives Concatenation), FAST4 (4 drive RAID 0  Striping), BIG 4(4 drives Concatenation), RAID 1+0, RAID 5 over 4 drives, or RAID 5+S.

Connecting the HPM to onboard SATA ports on the motherboard is possible by using 2 eSATA ports PCI slot mounting bracket with two eSATA connectors to convert internal Serial ATA to the latest external eSATA.

2TB, 3TB, 4TB, 6TB & 8TB Turnkey RAID solutions utilizing the 4x1 eSATA/USB Hardware Port Multiplier (HPM) are available at
    https://www.theraidbox.com

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 10:33 PM
  • Dead Thread!!
    Necromancer!!

theraidbox:  kindly note the last post date in this thread:  December 2007.  

(how do people find these threads??!???!?)
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 11:42 PM
  • Any idea how I can resolve my issue with a 4-drive Rosewill enclosure?  I just bought a Dell Zino HD with 2 eSata ports, when I have the enclosure hooked into the Dell and boot Windows 7, the PC only recognizes a single drive in it.  When I boot into BIOS on the Dell, both drive lights come on, but after exiting it goes back to only seeing a single drive.
    Monday, July 26, 2010 3:33 PM