Anit-Virus and Windows Home Server RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

No Anti-Virus?  I would make sense to install A/V on the server ASAP.  Having a machine that is connected to the internet without A/V is sucide..  There are a few BETA A/V's that intergrate into the WhS console.  You could try one of these...

F-Secure for WhS BETA

BitDefender For WhS BETA

There are others, but still not decided on the best for WhS...  Anyone else using something else, as they all tend to sap alot of resources..

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 8:08 AM

All replies

• Just because it's connected to the Internet, doesn't mean it's suicide. If you aren't using it to surf, and you shouldn't be, and all your Clients have an AV installed, AND you don't allow others to upload to your server, then there should be no urgent reason to install an AV.

Incidentally, there are AV's already for WHS, not just Beta's. Currently, I'm running Avast, which when running a system scan, takes approx 3% of resources.

Colin

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 3:18 PM
  • I have been using the AVAST! Pro Family Pack http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-professional-family-pack.html

for about four months.  This package comes with a component for WHS and 10 licenses for connected PC's.  I have a combination of 32 & 64 bit clients WinXP & Vista.  I am also running PP! and the AVAST package seems to run just fine.  It is also very cost effective.  Also each PC updates itself as does WHS so you don;t have to worry about distributing updates via WHS.  The only item distributed by AVAST WHS is the license.  The AVAST console plug-in does monitor the status of each PC.

One little blip was after I installed PP1 and used Remote Desktop to log into WHS I received a Data Execution Protection warning and had to add WHS Backup to the exclude list on the Server.  After that all works well. Very please with the AVAST product.

Larry

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 8:00 PM
  • Have been using McAfee for all my client PC's for years. Now replaced them with AVAST for WHS. Great package!

AVAST! Pro Family Pack at http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-professional-family-pack.html

Thursday, June 19, 2008 10:33 AM
  • There has been a rash of AV threads started here lately.  Many of us have sorted this whole thing out since the Beta days and yes, Avast is one of the official WHS products. It works well for the most part, but has had some minor issues too.  Before Avast came out, we users of WHS had to get creative and test various AV's to find one that worked and did not cause all sorts of problems. Many, many caused issues. Several others worked.

Now PP1 may have opened up a problem for some of these "other brands" of AV's, though not officially made for WHS, but some have found to work just fine...... unitl now.  See my latest bug report link below, "Error Messages-There are file conflicts," concerning AVG 7.5 Network Edition .   This shadow file quarantine issue may force all of us to use only Avast afterall. I'm going to wait until after the PP1 Beta is over before determining if I too need to move to Avast Av for WHS..... Stay tuned.

Over the past year or so, I and some others have posted some AV test results here on WHS Forums and MSWHS.com. In order to tie all these threads together, here are some links for some late night reading..

Anti Virus on WHS  April 2007

Virus and spyware protection Feb 10- 2008

Error Message- There are file conflicts  June 13-2008

I'll have to update both of these  posts regarding AVG as a working AV for WHS:
    Windows Home Server Blog on AV

AV test and conclusions MSWHS.com

Thursday, June 19, 2008 11:15 AM
  •  ColinWH wrote:

Just because it's connected to the Internet, doesn't mean it's suicide. If you aren't using it to surf, and you shouldn't be, and all your Clients have an AV installed, AND you don't allow others to upload to your server, then there should be no urgent reason to install an AV.

Incidentally, there are AV's already for WHS, not just Beta's. Currently, I'm running Avast, which when running a system scan, takes approx 3% of resources.

Colin

The agruement is endless on this one, but a FREE A/V scanner is better than nothing.  Running without and NOT having anything could potentially be opening up for an outside attack.  Ports 80 and 443 are redirected through for ALL internet traffic, no one has to be surfing the net on the server for a virus to slip in.  It's like allowing Microsoft's software to be the only defence against such an attack and we all know Microsoft's track records on security flaws.  Well, if you open a door (port in this case) something will eventually get in.  Anyway, just one persons view and I might be a tad bit over the top cauious (paranoid).  Nice to know other people view and thoughts on this one...

Thursday, June 19, 2008 1:01 PM
  •  

I am running Avast on my server and have the "There are File Conflicts" error too. Before PP1 I was having no problems with these files or Avast. I will have to check tonight to determine if these two files had been quarantined. I have filed the bug on connect:

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=351873

I have noiced that the conflicts seem to all be .exe and possibly in the software share folder.

Thursday, June 19, 2008 4:57 PM
  •  Dave Spalding wrote:

I am running Avast on my server and have the "There are File Conflicts" error too. Before PP1 I was having no problems with these files or Avast. I will have to check tonight to determine if these two files had been quarantined. I have filed the bug on connect:

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=351873

I have noiced that the conflicts seem to all be .exe and possibly in the software share folder.

Spalding,

I think you just about quoted my post  on another thread listed above...LOL

If you are getting the same issue with Avast....a WHS authorized AV...then that is an issue. Not a big one, but an issue. I assume you read my other thread on this and my bug report?

Friday, June 20, 2008 1:12 AM
  • Judgeschambers,

Yes, I had been keeping up to date with your posts which was why I posted under this topic to make the point that it's not just AVG AV that's the problem, it's also Avast, so switching isn't the solution. However, I don't think it's the AV that's the problem, it's just letting us know there is a system problem.

I also think this may be a big problem. A file corruption type big problem.

I didn't have any viruses (or is the virii) on my system according to Avast when I installed PP1. For two days after installing PP1 I still had a single disk system and no viruses. Then I brought on line the other 4 disks that had been waiting for a fix to the corruption issue and added them to the pool. The next day Avast finds 15 viruses in files that didn't have them until that point. Console goes orange with two of the virus identified files as "There are file conflicts". Unlike some people I have been able to delete these two files. They couldn't be moved or copied due to "invalid file handles". Now they are deleted console is green again. Downloaded one of the files again and put it right back where I had deleted the old one from. No issues wih it. Therefore, it appears to me that the process of migrating these files has corrupted them triggering the AV response. Of course I could be wrong!

As we have two similar threads I'm going to note this in the "there are file conflicts" subject too.

Friday, June 20, 2008 12:18 PM
  • Dave,

I also posted this on you bug report:

What I'm wondering is this>  Is Migrator/Demigrator moving files which triggers the AV to think that the file is acting out on its own like a virus? Or is it during the AV's weekly scan while Migrator is working too that is triggering the Virus flag and then the file conflict flag. I'm going to test it and do a manual scan and see if I get a flag of both sorts.

Posting this in the file conflict thread too....

Also, I see Connect has not yet commented on your bug and no one else has either. I bet there is some good head scratching going on tonight...
    Saturday, June 21, 2008 12:57 AM