cannot start OneCare program. Need help RRS feed

• Question

• Over the weekend, I got a message from the OneCare that there is an urgent
    update that had to be installed. The name of this update is

Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool(KB892130)

After this update was installed, " One Care" is not the same. I cannot start it
     at all. The message that I am getting would say:

The Windows Live OneCare is not working or has been stopped. To correct the program, try to restart your computer…

OneCare couldn’t start the Security setting services.

I really don't know what is going on. Please help.

Thank you,

Thursday, December 6, 2007 4:18 AM

Answers

All replies

• Elana, as noted in my other reply, please contact support for this problem.

How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

If it fails to validate your subscription, select the option that you are using a trial or beta copy and you can proceed to email support without validation once you've signed in.

-steve

Friday, December 7, 2007 1:40 AM
  • Elana, Can you please generate the OneCare logs from your machine and send it to wloc@live.com.

We would like to investigate the issue.

Steps below to generate the logs

1.Click Start.

2.Click My Computer.

3.Double-click "Local Disk (C:  )" (If you're notified that files are hidden, click Show the contents of this folder.)

4.Browse to the Program Files folder and double-click to open it.

5.Browse to the Microsoft Windows OneCare Live folder and double-click to open it

6.Double-click OneCareSupport.exe. (Vista users need to right click OneCareSupport.exe and choose Run as Administrator.)

7.The application will run for 2-10 minutes and create a zipped file called OneCareSupportData.zip, which will be saved automatically to your Local Disk (C:  ).

8.When the application is finished, you'll see a dialog box indicating that the process has completed

9.Repeat steps 1-3 above to find the new file called OneCareSupportData.zip.

Thanks

Anand

Monday, December 10, 2007 6:31 PM