Re: Genuine Microsoft Validation RRS feed

• Question

• I have just added the current windows XP info from the computer onto the clipboard for you.  What happened - we had a bug around 1.5 years ago.  I guess the gentleman we took it to for service(who is no longer in business), used his info instead of just looking on the back of our e machine to get the correct info.  So here we are.  We are not rich people - we bought our machine on layaway at walmart.

I do have all the correct information.  It is a W2247 that we had to upgrade to 256 mb in order for my daughter to have high speed internet service in nursing school.

When I key in the product key numbers that I have, it states they are invalid.  Of course, I know one will have to be taken off before the other is placed on.  I'm not well versed in this but my 18 yo son and his friends are.

I just need to know, do we clear all the old before putting in the old?  Or is there another way?

Sincerely,

Melissa Harris

Monday, April 16, 2007 2:20 PM

Answers

•  Anonymous #1,234,585,

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Monday, April 16, 2007 4:35 PM