none
Which forum category is best for Wi-Fi problems with Surface Pro 4 running Windows 10?

Question

• All versions of Surface Pro have had numerous and too-frequent episodes of widespread Wi-Fi connection problems. Postings are all over the web.  Is there a best Technet forum to consolidate information on these problem outbreaks?  My Surface Pro 4 is in the middle of its latest episode of Wi-Fi connection problems.

JLG

Tuesday, March 29, 2016 3:41 PM

Answers

• There were two forums that should be listed in the left pane.

I had a surface book but had problems with that also the firmware would not allow booting from USB so I could not clean install it so I sent it back. Have had the SP4 for about six weeks now, at home I connect to my 5g wireless and have no issues.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by jaygourley Wednesday, March 30, 2016 12:37 AM
    Wednesday, March 30, 2016 12:24 AM

All replies

• They'll help you over here.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfpro4?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/home?forum=surfacehardware%2Cwin10itpronetworking&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc

(BTW I have had no issues with mine)

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Tuesday, March 29, 2016 3:44 PM
  • Thanks, Dave.  I cannot tell from the Technet link what category that refers to.  Can you tell met the category name?  Also, how long have you had your Surface Pro, and do you use it on 5G networks.  In some of the episodes I've lived through, the problems were only on 5G.  They were pretty sever and affected a lot of people.  For the last week or two, I've been unable to sustain a 5G Wi-Fi connection.  It could be a hardware problem.  But because of the history, I suspect software. 

JLG

Tuesday, March 29, 2016 11:58 PM
  • There were two forums that should be listed in the left pane.

I had a surface book but had problems with that also the firmware would not allow booting from USB so I could not clean install it so I sent it back. Have had the SP4 for about six weeks now, at home I connect to my 5g wireless and have no issues.

• Marked as answer by jaygourley Wednesday, March 30, 2016 12:37 AM
    Wednesday, March 30, 2016 12:24 AM
  • Thanks, Dave.  Oh, I see.  You meant both Technet forums.  Seeing the two is what confused me.  The other link to Answer forum was clear.  It was just the Technet link that confused me.  But now I understand.

From what I'm reading on the web, the Surface wi-fi problem is causing a lot of grief.  From what Barb Bowman has been posting about it, the problems may be router related. That's hard for me to verify because my problems are on 5G and the only 5G access points I have easy access to are the two Netgrear access points in my home.  

No other devices have a problem with those two Netgear routers.  Only my Surface Pro 4.  And my Surface Pro 4 doesn't have problems with other routers I use, which are all 2.4G routers.  After I upgraded to Windows build 1511 and until about three weeks ago, my Surface Pro 4 didn't have any problem with either of those Netgear routers.

JLG

Wednesday, March 30, 2016 12:37 AM
  • I've been recently using a pace 5268ac (AT&T) and now using a Linksys EA8500 both have 2.4 and 5g but have used the 5g on both without issues.

Wednesday, March 30, 2016 1:11 AM