Server loses network connection during backup RRS feed

• Question

• I have found very similar discussion on this topic:
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/94f15185-2173-4648-a4a7-f1bcf19a38a3
    http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/1b85354d-f87a-4bf5-a8d5-9fd3850ed027/

These discussions are old, but the problem is here to stay! I build my WHS using a Zotac ION Motherboard (with ATOM N330, 2 GB of RAM @800MHz and 2x 1 TB WD Caviar Green HDD). Unfortunately the server has the bug discussed also above: it loses network connection, mainly during the phase of "reorganizing data on the server" and the only way to reset connection is to press the power button (I have set it to shutdown the pc) and restart the pc. If I connect a monitor to it, network is enabled (the nic is in fact blinking) but it doesn't browse the LAN nor internet and there's no way to repair it without restarting the machine.
    You can imagine that it's not really useful a WHS that is unable to do backups (even if sometimes it works)!
    Any suggestion? Please remind that the motherboard do not have any pci/pci-e slot so it would be difficult to change the nic as suggested in the discussions above. I could try the wireless embedded in the motherboard, but I would prefer to use the cable (i don't have any wireless access point at the moment to test it, anyway).

Thanks,

Stefano
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 8:43 PM

Answers

• it's definitely a nic driver problem.
    Previously I used "vanilla" nvidia drivers, august 2008

Now I have just updated driver using zotac one for Windows XP from zotacusa.com, labelled july 2009, and while externally nothing changed (the device is still "nvidia nforce 10/100/1000 Mbps"), backup seems to work now even via wired LAN! (i have also updated the driver for the "NVIDIA Network Bus Enumerator", which was from august 2008 and now is from july 2009)

note: I will be really happy within some days, when I will be sure that this was not a lucky coincidence. Obviously, I'll let you know!

edit (september 11): It seems working now. I'm marking this as resolved!
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Thursday, September 10, 2009 11:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by cenit Friday, September 11, 2009 9:21 PM
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 10:41 AM

All replies

• I have found very similar discussion on this topic:
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/94f15185-2173-4648-a4a7-f1bcf19a38a3
    http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/1b85354d-f87a-4bf5-a8d5-9fd3850ed027/

These discussions are old, but the problem is here to stay! I build my WHS using a Zotac ION Motherboard (with ATOM N330, 2 GB of RAM @800MHz and 2x 1 TB WD Caviar Green HDD). Unfortunately the server has the bug discussed also above: it loses network connection, mainly during the phase of "reorganizing data on the server" and the only way to reset connection is to press the power button (I have set it to shutdown the pc) and restart the pc. If I connect a monitor to it, network is enabled (the nic is in fact blinking) but it doesn't browse the LAN nor internet and there's no way to repair it without restarting the machine.
    You can imagine that it's not really useful a WHS that is unable to do backups (even if sometimes it works)!
    Any suggestion? Please remind that the motherboard do not have any pci/pci-e slot so it would be difficult to change the nic as suggested in the discussions above. I could try the wireless embedded in the motherboard, but I would prefer to use the cable (i don't have any wireless access point at the moment to test it, anyway).

Thanks,

Stefano

Do you have multiple clients to backup?  If so, is it just one that has problems (or all of them)?  What OS driver did you use for the NIC in your server?
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 12:15 AM
  • I have two client at the moment.
    One is with Windows Vista x64 Ultimate SP2 and the other with Windows Vista x64 Home Premium.
    The first time I set up Windows Home Server I was able to do a full backup of both without any problem, but now I am completely unable to finish any backup, except for rare occasions. The error is always the same: it hangs at ~90% / 95%, "The backup failed because of a problem with your Windows Home Server Connector software. The system event log contains more details".
    I used XP drivers for the NIC but also for every other component not recognized by WHS. I have just read that someone used Vista drivers for the NIC. Is it compatible? Maybe it should be a nice try! What is the correct procedure to change drivers?

Thanks a lot

Stefano
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 7:51 AM
  • Hi Stefano,
    a problem with the connector software would point to a client issue.
    So did you check the event log on the client PCs for more details, as mentioned in the error message?
    Are the network drivers on the machines the most current?
    Are the machines connected wired or wireless? If wired, via switch or the router directly?
    Is the router firmware up to date?
    Can you post the output of ipconfig /all on a client and the server?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 8:01 AM
  • I'll surely do that, but let me say one thing before.
    I just got a wireless access point and so I could enable the atheros chip on the ion motherboard of the WHS. I disconnected the lan plug and let one of the pc do its backup.

Well, everything went fine!

So, taking into consideration also the discussions that I linked in the opening post, I'm not really sure that it's a client issue as you say: why it should be on both pc? And why changing nic it went away?
    I must say that the "shared folder" function works well with the LAN, so it's probably something in the backup process that triggers a bug in the nic driver. But I would like to not have to replace the motherboard (i cannot use wireless reliably for the mass data I have to exchange and for video streaming!), so I would appreciate any hint. I saw many configurable things in the properties of the nic under Windows device manager. Maybe some of them can help this issue! Or maybe should I try Vista's driver? Are they really compatible? How to cleanly change nic drivers?

for your information, the LAN config was

ROUTER in one room --> cabled to a SWITCH in another room ---> both pc and WHS were attached to this switch (Netgear GS605v2)

now the config is

ROUTER  --->  SWITCH ---->  2 PC CLIENTS
        |
        |
        V
    WIRELESS AP
        |
        |
        V
    HOME SERVER

Thanks a lot,

Stefano

edit: both pc did their backup! so it's surely not a client issue, because the clients work really well beside doing backups with WHS when connected with the LAN
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 9:16 AM

Now I have just updated driver using zotac one for Windows XP from zotacusa.com, labelled july 2009, and while externally nothing changed (the device is still "nvidia nforce 10/100/1000 Mbps"), backup seems to work now even via wired LAN! (i have also updated the driver for the "NVIDIA Network Bus Enumerator", which was from august 2008 and now is from july 2009)

note: I will be really happy within some days, when I will be sure that this was not a lucky coincidence. Obviously, I'll let you know!

• Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Thursday, September 10, 2009 11:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by cenit Friday, September 11, 2009 9:21 PM
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 10:41 AM

cenit,

Thank you soo much! I've been having this problem since I built a system with the same mobo. I've tried a few homebrew fixes but to no avail, couldn't find new ethernet drivers. I'll try what you've suggested tonight (since my homeserver is now offline because of this bug).
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 7:48 AM