Headless rebooting... RRS feed

• Question

• I understand the headless concept for the server but I'm unsure of how to reboot after the Server is configured and running.  For example, if I add another hard drive and boot the system I expect it will ask me to hit Ctrl+Alt+Del and enter a password.  How do I do that without a mouse and kbd connected?   And how do I know WHEN to do it if I have no monitor?  Is control of this access possible thru a previously configured pc using the Console?  I would suspect the Console requires the Server to be fully running before access is allowed.
    Friday, March 16, 2007 6:17 PM

Answers

• If you log into your server with the Server Console, within the General tab of Settings you have the ability to shutdown/reboot your server... otherwise you can simply Remote Desktop into your server to use the Start button to shutdown.

The nice thing about the Server Console is it provides most of the tools you'd need to use to configure your WHS after it is installed... when it comes to adding a new hard drive... after you have physically installed it and booted your server, login with the Server Console and visit the Server Storage tab where you will see the new hard drive listed... simply right click on it and select Add and follow the mini wizard to add the new drive to the disk pool... WHS takes care of all of the heavy lifting for you so there is no need to do any kind of advanced methods like would be required if you added a HD to your desktop PC (ie like the Disk Management MMC).

Friday, March 16, 2007 6:48 PM
  • I think the confusing part is to remember this is a server, not a PC.  The CTRL-ALT-DEL bit is only needed when you want to log into the console on the server itself.  Once you boot the server, all the server functions are running in the background, and you'll be able to connect to the server, etc. without having to log into the server console.
    Friday, March 16, 2007 9:36 PM
  •  Panama Red wrote:
    I understand the headless concept for the server but I'm unsure of how to reboot after the Server is configured and running. For example, if I add another hard drive and boot the system I expect it will ask me to hit Ctrl+Alt+Del and enter a password. How do I do that without a mouse and kbd connected? And how do I know WHEN to do it if I have no monitor? Is control of this access possible thru a previously configured pc using the Console? I would suspect the Console requires the Server to be fully running before access is allowed.

What you see is a function of your motherboard's BIOS, I believe. My WHS doesn't do anything of the sort.

I would not expect the OEM products like the HP MediaSmart Server to prompt for a password before completing the boot process. Microsoft has stated that only about 1/3 of potential users of WHS fall in the enthusiast/developer camp, so I would expect that at least 2/3 of all WHS implementations will be of the OEM variety. As for standalone software, it would depend on the hardware the user chose to install it on, just as the beta does today.
    Thursday, March 22, 2007 2:57 PM

All replies

• If you log into your server with the Server Console, within the General tab of Settings you have the ability to shutdown/reboot your server... otherwise you can simply Remote Desktop into your server to use the Start button to shutdown.

The nice thing about the Server Console is it provides most of the tools you'd need to use to configure your WHS after it is installed... when it comes to adding a new hard drive... after you have physically installed it and booted your server, login with the Server Console and visit the Server Storage tab where you will see the new hard drive listed... simply right click on it and select Add and follow the mini wizard to add the new drive to the disk pool... WHS takes care of all of the heavy lifting for you so there is no need to do any kind of advanced methods like would be required if you added a HD to your desktop PC (ie like the Disk Management MMC).

Friday, March 16, 2007 6:48 PM
  • I think the confusing part is to remember this is a server, not a PC.  The CTRL-ALT-DEL bit is only needed when you want to log into the console on the server itself.  Once you boot the server, all the server functions are running in the background, and you'll be able to connect to the server, etc. without having to log into the server console.
    Friday, March 16, 2007 9:36 PM
  • Thank you both for clearing that up.  As you can tell, this is my first experience with a server.  Better to ask the seemingly dumb questions than assume something that causes more troubles.
    Saturday, March 17, 2007 5:04 AM
  • Also if you want to send a ctl-alt-del to the WHS via remote desktop then do a ctl-alt-end. You may wish to do this to bring up the task manager or performance monitor.
    Thursday, March 22, 2007 12:13 AM
  • IF you want to remotely shut down or reboot your WHS, you can do so from within the console on any workstation.  Just click on the gears type icon in the top right hand corner, and under the general tab you then click the shutdown tab, and it will ask you if you want to reboot or shut it down.

Thursday, March 22, 2007 2:21 AM
  •  Panama Red wrote:
    I understand the headless concept for the server but I'm unsure of how to reboot after the Server is configured and running.  For example, if I add another hard drive and boot the system I expect it will ask me to hit Ctrl+Alt+Del and enter a password.  How do I do that without a mouse and kbd connected?   And how do I know WHEN to do it if I have no monitor?  Is control of this access possible thru a previously configured pc using the Console?  I would suspect the Console requires the Server to be fully running before access is allowed.

PR, you have a valid concern when it comes to how your system handles hardware additions/changes. When I add a disk drive to my system, the BIOS recognizes the new drive and asks if I want to accept the addition, by pressing F1, before it boots the OS (WHS). There may be a way to set the BIOS so I am not prompted for this but I haven't found it yet. Therefore there is no way I know of to avoid having to add a keyboard and monitor to handle this situation.

Per other's comments in this thread, once you have WHS running you are fine as you can use the console to do most of what you need to do and for anything else you can use the "remote desktop connection".

Thursday, March 22, 2007 1:50 PM
  •  Panama Red wrote:
    I understand the headless concept for the server but I'm unsure of how to reboot after the Server is configured and running. For example, if I add another hard drive and boot the system I expect it will ask me to hit Ctrl+Alt+Del and enter a password. How do I do that without a mouse and kbd connected? And how do I know WHEN to do it if I have no monitor? Is control of this access possible thru a previously configured pc using the Console? I would suspect the Console requires the Server to be fully running before access is allowed.

What you see is a function of your motherboard's BIOS, I believe. My WHS doesn't do anything of the sort.

I would not expect the OEM products like the HP MediaSmart Server to prompt for a password before completing the boot process. Microsoft has stated that only about 1/3 of potential users of WHS fall in the enthusiast/developer camp, so I would expect that at least 2/3 of all WHS implementations will be of the OEM variety. As for standalone software, it would depend on the hardware the user chose to install it on, just as the beta does today.
    Thursday, March 22, 2007 2:57 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
     Panama Red wrote:

You are correct, Ken.  I had to disable the Halt on errors function in the bios.  With no kbd connected it was generating an error which caused a halt in the boot cycle.

Sunday, March 25, 2007 11:44 PM