Removing Old Data and Partition from system drive? RRS feed

• Question

• I used an old 500 GB drive with two partitions to install WHS. After the installation was completed, it appeared that it installed WHS in the old C: partition and left the D: partition and the data on it intact. My intent was to have the 500 GB drive as one partition. Is there any way to remove the old partition and add it to the existing system partition to create one drive, or does it matter given the way WHS manages storage? At a minimum, do I have to connect a monitor, mouse and keyboard to delete the old data files? I'd appreciate your advice.

Friday, December 28, 2007 1:20 PM

Answers

• Ron, the only way you could have had Windows Home Server's setup tool leave anything behind on that drive is if you ran it from within Windows (which really shouldn't have worked anyway, unless you were installing on a drive that previously contained Windows Server 2003). When you boot from the DVD, it will wipe everything on the drive it selects as the system drive and create two partitions: a 20 GB C: partition, and a D: (DATA) partition containing the remaining space.

If you're sure that there was data left behind after the installation, you should reinstall, booting from the DVD instead of running setup from inside Windows.
    Friday, December 28, 2007 1:46 PM

All replies

• Ron, the only way you could have had Windows Home Server's setup tool leave anything behind on that drive is if you ran it from within Windows (which really shouldn't have worked anyway, unless you were installing on a drive that previously contained Windows Server 2003). When you boot from the DVD, it will wipe everything on the drive it selects as the system drive and create two partitions: a 20 GB C: partition, and a D: (DATA) partition containing the remaining space.

If you're sure that there was data left behind after the installation, you should reinstall, booting from the DVD instead of running setup from inside Windows.
    Friday, December 28, 2007 1:46 PM
  • In fact, I did reinstall over an existing WHS installation - the motherboard failed with my first installation and I couldn't get an exact replacement, so I installed a new motherboard and started fresh. I selected "New Installation" when prompted, so your explanation of what the setup tool does with the drive makes sense to me. I didn't recognize the partition labels or the data files on the drive itself but I assumed they were left over from the data on the old drive. Now that I know how WHS installs, I understand what I was looking at and I'm much more at peace (grin)! Many thanks for your help!

Friday, December 28, 2007 6:28 PM