Windows Home Server health issue--unable to use server RRS feed

• Question

• After being off for about 30 days (out of town), I turned the server on and was warned of health issues (Your home network is at risk).  Every attempt to access settings or repair result in a locked screen and "not responding."  I reset by cycling power with the same results.  If I try to access files, I can see that they are listed but am unable to open them.  Any suggestions?
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 8:07 PM

All replies

• I would guess that you have a failed hard drive; see this FAQ for more information about what might be at risk. 

Assuming I'm correct, based on what you've said the console's repair functionality is unlikely to be effective. I'd suggest you attempt to identify the drive. Once you've done so, shut your server down, disconnect the drive, then restart your server and use the console to remove the drive that's shown as "missing" from server storage. Then install a replacement and add it to server storage.

If you can't identify the drive, shut your server down and disconnect a drive at random (other than the system drive). Start your server up, and see if you got the right one. If not, shut down, connect the drive you just disconnected, and disconnect a different drive. (You won't damage anything by doing this.)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 3:03 AM
  • This is my problem, too. I have a scratch-built WHS with three PATA drives, and I'm getting similar errors. I don't know if it's the hard drive or the motherboard or ??? My primary concern is rescuing my data. My plan is to build a new WHS with SATA drives and one-by-one put my three existing drives in it (most motherboards have one PATA connector for DVD and CD drives), copy the data across to the new SATA drives, then pull the old drive and move on to the next drive. My fear is that when I connect an old drive to the new WHS it will say "Oh, goody, more disk space - let me format that for you!" What I want, of course, is for it to say "Oh, I see you have some data here, let me recover that for you!" How do I get the latter scenario, not the former? I assume I have to establish my users all over again exactly as they are on the existing WHS, but what else? Do I copy the files manually? Which files? Help!
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 8:43 PM
  • Ken--Thanks for the response.  I was finally able to get the Server Console to respond and it states that a drive is "Unhealthy."  When I click on Server Storage I get "An unexpected error has occurred in the Windows Home Server Storage Manager."  Once I get past that and try to repair the drive, the Repair Hard Drive Wizard starts working but I get the same "unexpected error" message.  So, before I follow your guidance above, 3 questions:

1)  Is there an issue with the server itself that I can fix before attempting to repair/replace the drive?

2)  Should I have a spare drive on hand before removing the Unhealthy drive?

3)  If I pull the drive and "remove" it from the server, will I be able to reinstall it if that isn't the problem, or will it be formatted when I put it back and wipe the data.

One more thing.  It says "The Windows Home Server Computer Backup service is not running.  Please restart Windows Home Server.  If the problem persists contact Product Support."  No resolution when restarted, and no backups listed for any of my computers.

Thanks again for the help.

Bryan Patchen
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 10:29 PM