Windows Server Client Computer Backup Provider Service fails to start after Windows 10 update RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

After the latest Windows 10 (System) update, I am unable to backup computer. Windows Server Client Computer Backup Provider Service cannot start. Event viewer records the following:

The 'Windows Server Client Computer Backup Provider Service' service (WSS_ComputerBackupProviderSvc) failed while starting.  Additional error information: Unhandled exception in OnStart: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: The system cannot find the path specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070003)

at TaskSchedulerV2.ITaskFolder.RegisterTaskDefinition(String Path, ITaskDefinition pDefinition, Int32 flags, Object UserId, Object password, _TASK_LOGON_TYPE LogonType, Object sddl)

at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.ProviderFramework.SchedulerVersion2.RegisterTask(TaskDefinition definition)

at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.Provider.ScheduledTaskManager.CreateBackupOnIdleTask()

at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.Provider.ScheduledTaskManager.CheckCompliance(Boolean forceUpdateScheduledTask)

at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.Provider.ScheduledTaskManager.OnStart()

at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.Provider.PCBackupClientProviderRoot..ctor()

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)

at System.Reflection.RuntimeConstructorInfo.Invoke(BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)

at System.ServiceModel.Description.ServiceDescription.CreateImplementation(Type serviceType)

at System.ServiceModel.Description.ServiceDescription.SetupSingleton(ServiceDescription serviceDescription, Object implementation, Boolean isWellKnown)

at System.ServiceModel.Description.ServiceDescription.GetService(Type serviceType)

at System.ServiceModel.ServiceHost.CreateDescription(IDictionary`2& implementedContracts)

at System.ServiceModel.ServiceHostBase.InitializeDescription(UriSchemeKeyedCollection baseAddresses)

at System.ServiceModel.ServiceHost..ctor(Type serviceType, Uri[] baseAddresses)

at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.ProviderFramework.ProviderHost.<>c__DisplayClass2.<.ctor>b__0()

at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.ProviderFramework.ProviderHost..ctor(Type providerType, String providerId, IList`1 serviceContractInterfaces, ProviderFrameworkConfigurator configurator)

at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.Provider.PCBackupClientProviderMain.CreateProviderHosts()

at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.ProviderFramework.ProviderServiceBase._OpenHosts()

Suggestions on how to correct this is appreciated. I have repaired the WHS2011 database, run sfc on both the server and the client, tried deleting commit.dat, etc.

Thanks -

tyrone3a

Ric Schecter (tyrone3a)

Friday, September 23, 2016 8:57 PM

Answers

• Try removing the Connector and re-installing after rebooting.

When it won't install create the folder c:\windows\system32\tasks\microsoft\windows\windows server and try again.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Monday, September 26, 2016 12:06 AM
    • Marked as answer by tyrone3a Monday, September 26, 2016 4:38 PM
    Friday, September 23, 2016 11:03 PM

All replies

• Try removing the Connector and re-installing after rebooting.

When it won't install create the folder c:\windows\system32\tasks\microsoft\windows\windows server and try again.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Monday, September 26, 2016 12:06 AM
    Friday, September 23, 2016 11:03 PM
  • Hi! Phil,

Thanks for the reply. Your instructions worked like a charm. I'm surprised I could not find the info myself - I'm pretty good at searching. Glad you were there to help.

Ric Schecter (tyrone3a)

Ric Schecter (tyrone3a)

• Unmarked as answer by tyrone3a Monday, September 26, 2016 4:38 PM
    Sunday, September 25, 2016 10:23 PM
  • Hi,

I am glad to hear that your issue was successfully resolved. If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

You can click “Mark as answer” if the reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 26, 2016 7:39 AM
  • I too have been tracking this problem down with much frustration.

Everything used to work until about 30 days ago and I the only changes to my systems were via Windows Update.

Question: Where do I go to remove the Connector and then how do I reinstall it? 

Saturday, October 22, 2016 4:42 PM
  • Hi! Kevin,

To remove connector, go to Control Panel --> Uninstall a Program. Click on Windows Home Server Connector and click on Uninstall. When completed, reboot.

To install the Connector, open a browser window, type in the name of the server\connect (eg, winserver\connect). Follow the prompts.

Hope this helps.

~Ric

Ric Schecter (tyrone3a)

Saturday, October 22, 2016 6:36 PM
  • I have had this same type of issue with Windows Server 2012 Essentials since August when the Anniversary Update for Windows 10 downloaded to my first laptop and installed. I have been searching for a solution since then as my other pc's in the house all experienced the same situation as the update was installed. I was actually at the point of giving up and going to another solution, but thought I would search one more time and found your post and the solution outlined here (above).

I am happy to report that doing this fix of creating the "Windows Server" directory manually solved the issues completely on all my pc's! I wish this solution was easier to find and more open to the public as I am sure there are others experiencing the same issue for some reason.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! I appreciate the information and I am happy that I can use the backups and file sharing again like I used to!

Gabe

• Proposed as answer by Robag Monday, November 7, 2016 3:31 PM
    Sunday, November 6, 2016 7:22 PM