activation after format RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I want to format my harddrive and do a clean install of win 7. Will it let me activate it using the same product key I used last time? 
    I have the family pack with 3 licences; how does microsoft know how many times it has been installed? How will microsoft know that the 4th activation is replacing one of the first 3 and not going on a new computer?
    Thanks 
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 3:25 PM

Answers

• Hi, I want to format my harddrive and do a clean install of win 7. Will it let me activate it using the same product key I used last time? 
    Yes, however, if you get an error while activationg over the internet, you will need to Activate by Phone, instead.
    I have the family pack with 3 licences; how does microsoft know how many times it has been installed? How will microsoft know that the 4th activation is replacing one of the first 3 and not going on a new computer?
    Thanks 

Because a) you agreed to the licensing agreement with Microsoft to (among other things) only use the software on three computers at a time and b) you will likely need to activate by phone and answer a few questions that confirm you are using the software within the license agreement.

Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, December 28, 2011 11:33 PM
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 11:33 PM

All replies

• "yitzy" wrote in message news:3f7ffeae-ebd7-47f8-9da4-a8d64b56e673...
    Hi, I want to format my harddrive and do a clean install of win 7. Will it let me activate it using the same product key I used last time?
    I have the family pack with 3 licences; how does microsoft know how many times it has been installed? How will microsoft know that the 4th activation is replacing one of the first 3 and not going on a new computer?
    Thanks 

You will probably have to activate the install by phone, whatever else you do,
    In theory, you should revert back to the original OS, and then Upgrade from that – but there is a workaround you can use to avoid that, if necessary....

Try internet activation first – if that fails, use telephone activation
    telephone activation.
    Click on the Start button
    in the Search box, type
    SLUI 4
    and hit the Enter key
    follow the instructions - but when asked which service you require by the telephone ansafone, do NOT reply - this should force an operator to respond, who can deal with you.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 4:32 PM
    Yes, however, if you get an error while activationg over the internet, you will need to Activate by Phone, instead.
    Thanks 

Because a) you agreed to the licensing agreement with Microsoft to (among other things) only use the software on three computers at a time and b) you will likely need to activate by phone and answer a few questions that confirm you are using the software within the license agreement.

Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, December 28, 2011 11:33 PM
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 11:33 PM