OneCare detects ODBC32.dll - Removes - System Won't boot RRS feed

• Question

• I sent in a support request about this last night but no reply yet.

OneCare on my WinXP Pro desktop detected a Trojan.Downloader.??? in file odbc32.dll in the system32 folder. It said the issue was severe and recommended removal. I was unsure as I knew this was a standard windows file, but then thought maybe something had infected that file. So I said ok to OneCare. Immediatley it said the same about the odbc32.dll in the ServicePackFiles folder and I ok'd removal. Next the system said important system files has been removed and asked for WindowsXP SP3 CD to replace them. The only CD I had was an SP2 cd and it would not take that cd. I cancelled the dialog and rebooted hoping the problem might just resolve itself. However when I tried to reboot I got this message "User Interface Failure: The Logon User Interface DLL msgina.dll failed to load. Contact your system administrator to replace the DLL, or restore the original DLL. - RESTART"

Any help here?
    Sunday, August 17, 2008 6:55 AM

Answers

• After several hours (no kidding) of mostly waiting on the phone with tech support and no success I finally had to cut it off. The next morning I got up and replaced the odbc32.dll file with one from my WinXP Home SP2 cd and all was fine.

If tech support was people who knew what they were doing not just people looking through a db for answers I am sure my problem would have been solved much quicker.

Monday, August 18, 2008 5:54 AM

All replies

• I suggest waiting for a response from support as there may be more going on than a missing dll.

Sunday, August 17, 2008 3:23 PM
  • It's been 24 hours since I sent my request via email and no response. I'm not very happy.
    Sunday, August 17, 2008 5:23 PM
  • If you have a One Care subscription you should be able to access phone support. See the reaching support FAQs - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Sunday, August 17, 2008 5:32 PM
  • I got to chat with them and they said I need to talk to XP support. But I can't get into them without paying. Or atleast i can't see how.

Sunday, August 17, 2008 6:10 PM
  • If this was caused by One Care removing or cleaning a file then it is a One Care issue not an XP issue.

Sunday, August 17, 2008 6:46 PM
  • I called OneCare support back and puched to get them to transfer me to XP support. They said they changed my support case to an XP support case. When i got through to XP support and I explained the situation they finally said that OneCare did not transfer the case to them so they could not do anything. So they transfered me to support central who then while on the phone with me tried to get the case transfered over to XP support. I am still on the phone now. An hour at least and have yet to really get any help. CRAZY!

Plus my case will not show up under my LiveID on MS Support.

As if Vista wasn't bad enough. Microsoft is really going down hill.
    Sunday, August 17, 2008 6:48 PM
  • Plus this forum layout is all out of wack on FireFox 3. Grade for "Plays well with others" F
    Sunday, August 17, 2008 6:52 PM
  • One would think so, but that's not what happened in the real world.
    Monday, August 18, 2008 5:49 AM
  • After several hours (no kidding) of mostly waiting on the phone with tech support and no success I finally had to cut it off. The next morning I got up and replaced the odbc32.dll file with one from my WinXP Home SP2 cd and all was fine.

If tech support was people who knew what they were doing not just people looking through a db for answers I am sure my problem would have been solved much quicker.

Monday, August 18, 2008 5:54 AM