Best Sharepoint 2010 / Sharepoint Online Training Course (Introductory Level) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

First of all, a little about myself to give you a general idea of my level of experience and qualifications: I graduated from University this year with a First Class Honours in 'BSc (Hons) Computer Network Management and Design', which included 14 months in industry. During this time I developed a proficient working knowledge of day-to-day operations within a Windows Network (Using Windows Server, AD, Group Policy, Exchange etc).

I'm now responsible for managing the IT for a ~100 user Windows network with help from an outsourced IT support company. We are using Office 365 for Email, and management are very keen to make use of SharePoint Online and grow into it as a means of Document storage and team communication/collaboration.

My experience with SharePoint prior to obtaining this position 2 months ago is next to zero. I've since worked thorugh online tutorials and played around with SharePoint Online myself which has bettered by understanding, but I feel a training course is the way to go as I'm wasting a lot of time trying to teach myself.

I'm looking for a course which will provide me with the knowledge to build a SharePoint solution through SharePoint Online from scratch. Points of interest are as follows:

• Creating site structure for the entire company across multiple teams/departments
    • Managing and Administering SharePoint
    • Learning to use SharePoint from the End User's point of view
    • SharePoint features: the in's and out's. I.E. Different types of pages/libraries/lists/sites, permissions, customisation.
    • How to perform common tasks in the correct way
    • SharePoint Intranet
    • How Sharepoint can benefit the company
    • Different ways of linking Sharepoint to SharePoint Workspace 2010 and Outlook 2010
    • And More?

Note that we're able to run the current system in parrallel for a reasonable amount of time while implementing a SharePoint solution. Starting small and gradually growing into a full SharePoint solution.

This course: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/course.aspx?ID=10174B&Locale=en-us seems very close to my requirements but is it sufficient considering we're planning to use just SharePoint Online with no local SharePoint server (and is using only SharePoint Online a good idea?).

Also, is this course satisfactory for my level of experience, for example: I do not meet the prerequisites for experience with Powershell or Microsoft SQL server, although I do have some experience with Powershell for Exchange.

Any help and advice will be very much appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Nick

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 3:45 PM

Answers