Same Windows Validation Problem RRS feed

• Question

• Wow! So this seems to be an ongoing issue.  After reading the posts I just went ahead and did another install..  I'm hoping that fixes it.  I bought the computer from Best Buy.
    HP Pavilion Elite e9207f.  I got on Christmas so I've had it  on and running for about 2 weeks.  Seems to me this seems to be happening with pre installed gear.  I have no idea why this would happen though.  My install is on my hard drive so I have no option of installing it from discs or leaving out all the HP pre-installed stuff.  What should I do if this problem persists?  What if every two weeks my activation goes plthhh?   Has anyone had the activation thing happen more than once?
    Obviously the advice to type in slui.exe doesn't work when there is no where to enter an activation key.  I'm also wondering if this is happening due to some virus that hasn't been detected by anything yet. 
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 11:42 PM

Answers

• Hello vyvexthorne

Carey is incorrect, 

Computers, which are built by large manufactures that come with Windows Pre-Installed, come with two (2) Product Keys:

A)   OEM SLP: This key comes pre-installed in Windows, when it comes from the Factory. This key is geared to work with the special instructions found only on that Manufacturer's computer hardware. So when Windows was installed using the OEM SLP key (at the factory) Vista looks at the motherboard and sees the special instructions and Self-Activates. (that's why you did not need to Activate your computer after you brought it home)

B)    COA SLP: This is the Product key that you see on the sticker on the side (or bottom) of your computer. It is a valid product key, but should only be used in limited situations (sush as if the OEM SLP key stops self-activating for whatever reason). The key must be activated by Phone. (Note: All manufacturers that use the OEM SLP system are required by contract to include a Certificate of Authenticity (COA) sticker, that has a COA SLP key, on the computer)

The COA SLP key (the one found on the COA Sticker) should only be used when the OEM SLP key stops self-activating (for any reason). The COA SLP key is the "backup" to the OEM SLP key.

Please Note that most Non-Genuine issues look alike regardless of what caused the issue.  Different causes require different fixes.  So even though your issue may look like another person's that you see in this forum, the fix for that person's issue may not fix your issue.

If you would like me to troubleshoot your issue, download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool (MGADiag.exe) at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue", click the "Copy" button then “Paste” the report into a reply message in this thread.

Thank you,
    Darin MS

• Proposed as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, January 11, 2010 7:09 PM
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, January 12, 2010 7:18 PM
    Monday, January 11, 2010 7:06 PM

All replies

• So after looking around a bit more it seems some speculate this has to do with MS's WGA which is constantly checking machines for pirated software and somehow mistakenly id's the HP OEM key as counterfeit.  So my question is.. Is there some way to change the mass installed by activation by HP with the key printed on the side of my computer.. (which is a completely different key by the way then the one installed)  Looking it up I came across a few articles which show the system page as having a blue link that says "Change Product Key"  as shown here in the picture here.  http://www.blogsdna.com/2233/how-to-change-windows-7-product-key.htm
    that would be fantastic except that my system page has no such blue linky comment.
    Big question is.. Should I change it if I can or do I wait out the two weeks to see if my computer de-authorizes again.  (which really is pretty irritating considering I have to re-install so much stuff that I had basically been working on installing this entire week. )
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 9:29 AM
  • The Windows 7 product key used by HP to install the Windows 7 OEM operating system is a master key used at the factory and should not be changed.  The COA affixed to your HP computer is only there to signify the Windows 7 operating system as genuine.  Please see: What is a Certificate of Authenticity (COA)?
    Carey Frisch
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 9:26 PM
  • Ahh.. so even if I could change the key that wouldn't be the solution to any problem with OS..  Thanks for the response.
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 9:28 PM
  • Hello vyvexthorne

Carey is incorrect, 

Computers, which are built by large manufactures that come with Windows Pre-Installed, come with two (2) Product Keys:

A)   OEM SLP: This key comes pre-installed in Windows, when it comes from the Factory. This key is geared to work with the special instructions found only on that Manufacturer's computer hardware. So when Windows was installed using the OEM SLP key (at the factory) Vista looks at the motherboard and sees the special instructions and Self-Activates. (that's why you did not need to Activate your computer after you brought it home)

B)    COA SLP: This is the Product key that you see on the sticker on the side (or bottom) of your computer. It is a valid product key, but should only be used in limited situations (sush as if the OEM SLP key stops self-activating for whatever reason). The key must be activated by Phone. (Note: All manufacturers that use the OEM SLP system are required by contract to include a Certificate of Authenticity (COA) sticker, that has a COA SLP key, on the computer)

The COA SLP key (the one found on the COA Sticker) should only be used when the OEM SLP key stops self-activating (for any reason). The COA SLP key is the "backup" to the OEM SLP key.

Please Note that most Non-Genuine issues look alike regardless of what caused the issue.  Different causes require different fixes.  So even though your issue may look like another person's that you see in this forum, the fix for that person's issue may not fix your issue.

If you would like me to troubleshoot your issue, download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool (MGADiag.exe) at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue", click the "Copy" button then “Paste” the report into a reply message in this thread.

Thank you,
    Darin MS

• Proposed as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, January 11, 2010 7:09 PM
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, January 12, 2010 7:18 PM
    Monday, January 11, 2010 7:06 PM
  • A WGA report probably wouldn't do much good now that I've re-installed but if you think it would help you to have a before/after picture in case it does happen again I'll be glad to stick one up.

Monday, January 11, 2010 11:15 PM
  • Hi vyvexthorne,

If you are no longer having the issue, then there is no point in posting the report.  But if you are still having non-genuine problems, (or have any problems in the future) create a new thread and post a report and we'll try to get the problem fixed up for you.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 7:18 PM