Product Key Unauthorized RRS feed

• Question

• I've had my computer somewhere between 4-6 years now...something like that.  This morning it started telling me that there had been hardware changes and that I needed to Re-activate.  When I went to re-activate it tells me that my code is unauthorized.  I tried using all their online support.  I tried calling, only to get transferred back and forth, no one answering my question...and getting "disconnected".  Twice.  Been searching online and it seems this is a common problem.  If anyone could help me I would greatly appreciate it.  I've tried everything on all the forums, including calling, etc.  I don't have the cd case, etc as we bought the computer from a "dealer" at the flea market years ago, we didn't get the disk or the COA.  I didn't even know there was a such thing as a COA until I started researching this problem.  I've been through the validation process several times with this computer and been told it was a genuine version.  Why the sudden problems?  I haven't changed my hardware in quite some time.  The only hardware that has been changed since we've owned it has been the cd/dvd rom drives as they stopped working....and it's been probably a year since that has been done.  Any solutions would be appreciated. 

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0011.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Not Activated
    Validation Code: 1

Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-VXXCJ-2TCQM-8RFRB
    Windows Product Key Hash: NI+D5laBA5+iUwj9NxWTkejDIfQ=
    Windows Product ID: 55034-365-0920683-22693
    Windows Product ID Type: 5
    Windows License Type: Retail
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.med
    ID: {D91CE64E-A79B-4848-AE7F-7927BAFC96A0}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.69.2
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-258-3
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 1
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.7
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-258-3

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{D91CE64E-A79B-4848-AE7F-7927BAFC96A0}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0011.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.med</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-8RFRB</PKey><PID>55034-365-0920683-22693</PID><PIDType>5</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1801674531-484061587-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>VIA Technologies, Inc.</Manufacturer><Model>KM266APro-835</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>6.00 PG</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="2"/><Date>20040803000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>AA5135570184206B</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.7.18.7"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.7.18.7"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: no
    Marker string from BIOS: N/A
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

Sunday, August 2, 2009 12:57 AM

Answers

• Hello Maybe,

Right now your computer has a "hacked and cracked" installation of XP Media Center Edition, and it's very likely that this installation was done with an Invalid Product Key.  The mgadiag utility cannot check the Product Key used for installation until the installation is activated, and that does not seem to be possible at the moment because of the hacked nature of your installation.

Note that the report is showing that you have a "retail" installation (license type) of Media Center.

Windows License Type: Retail                  Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.med

The problem with that is there is no such thing as a Retail license for Media Center (IOW they are not offered for sale in retail packaging that you would find at a major electronics retailer).  Genuine copies would have shown up in the report as either "systembuilder/OEM" or "OEM SLP."  That is why I call it "hacked and cracked."  As I understand it, this is the result of installing a crack available on the internet that adds Media Center functionality to a non-Media Center installation of XP.

Almost all of the people who have posted with this kind of XP hack post a report in which the Product Key is reported as 9MT6X-PGKC8-J4JTM.  If you search this forum for that partial Product Key, you will see that over a dozen other posters have also been victims of this hacked version of XP.

Unfortunately, since you said that the computer does not have a CoA affixed, that you did not receive an XP installation CD, and that you did not receive any Windows retail packaging materials with a CoA with the purchase of the computer, there is no doubt that the computer does not have a valid and Genuine license to run any version or edition of Windows.  It would seem that you are a victim of the type of software piracy known as "hard disk loading," http://sbc.webopedia.com/TERM/H/hard_disk_loading.html which is the purchase of a computer with a pirated copy of XP installed by the seller but without a genuine CoA and Genuine hologrammed XP CD.

At the moment, your options for Getting Genuine are limited to the purchase of a genuine copy of the Windows OS of your choice or the installation of a free OS such as one of the Linux distros.  If you want to stick with Windows, you may want to take advantage of the WGA messaging be presented on the computer to purchase a discounted Genuine copy of XP directly from Microsoft.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Sunday, August 2, 2009 4:22 AM