none
Why was my genuine copy of Vista declared illegal? RRS feed

• Question

• I bought my laptop Fujitsu on 8 April 2007. It comes with genuine copy of Vista. I've logged in and had my copy activated. I used it happily till today 28 May 2007 when I switched on my laptop it became an illegal copy!!!

Hey, I paid more than $2000 for the laptop and it comes with a genuine copy of Vista.

I called your helpline but it didn't help. I was told technical support will only be opened during office hours. You messed my laptop and I have to wait till the next day for you to fix it?

This is UNFAIR. I paid for the copy of vista and I have to suffer. Where's the logic???

I think users my sue this Microsoft for the trouble it gives us.

I am learning about Ubuntu and I shall use that soon enough. Damn you all at Microsoft.

Monday, May 28, 2007 2:09 PM

Answers

• Please repost your question utililizing proper and civilized English.
    Monday, May 28, 2007 3:25 PM
  • Petepg,

Have a look in the Vista section of this forum http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=1004&SiteID=25.  You may be able to run the mgadiag utility, get an error message, search on that error, find someone else with the same problem, then implement that solution.

Good Luck!

Monday, May 28, 2007 4:16 PM
  • I am not sure if I am responding to any of htis"right".  I thought it pretty crappy that the person who responded to Carey sais to respond in civilized English.  I too am totally pissed off because I have been using my 3000 dollar computer for over a  month and all of a sudden out of the blue comes the "your copy of vista is illegal".  What comes along with this great info is that I have lost files, my computer keeps shutting down, I cant get any answers, and all of a sudden my email and all my info is posted LIVE ON WINDOWS SPACES WHICH I HAD NO INTENTION OF AUTHORIZING!!!!!!!  I did not think I would ever be so frustrated with a brand new computer after waiting so long to get a BRAND NEW computer so I would never have to go through the *** of a used one again..I better send this quickly before the screen disappears and then i have to refrain from screaming.
    Monday, May 28, 2007 9:16 PM
  • Caroline,

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Note:  If the "Resolve" button on the Windows tab is NOT grayed out, that means the Utility found problems with your installation of Windows that it may be able to repair on its own.  Please click the "Resolve" button and follow any displayed instructions.

Please note that counterfeit software is likely to have embedded rootkits, spyware, and viruses, which may be the underlying cause of your problems.  http://www.microsoft.com/oem/english/licensing/roc.mspx

Monday, May 28, 2007 9:52 PM
  • Carey Frisch what "proper and civilized English" are you talking about?

What I have written is civilized enough and you as a worker for Microsoft is not. So shut up. I have used the laptop for almost two months and have validated my copy of Vista. Microsoft has no business suddenly declare my copy of vista as illegal and blocked my access to the laptop. That is illegal.

I have called the helpline and I still waiting for them to call back. So
    Carey Frisch shut  up.
    Tuesday, May 29, 2007 12:59 AM
  • Tuesday, May 29, 2007 4:12 AM
  • Pete,

First and foremost please refraime from using curse language in the public forum. Please contact Fujitsu for assistance with Vista. The operating system was installed by them and more than likely it is an OEM copy meaning the manufacturer is responsible for providing technical assistance. Please post back and let us know the outcome. 

Stephen Holm, MS

OGA and WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 7:03 PM
  • Caroline,

We ask ALL people to refraime from using foul language in the public forums. We understand our customers frustrations but using foul language isn't proper. Our customers will receive assistance. This forum is used by all age groups from around the world and we need everyone to post correctly. Thank you.

Stephen Holm, MS

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 7:07 PM
  •  petepg wrote:
    Carey Frisch what "proper and civilized English" are you talking about?

What I have written is civilized enough and you as a worker for Microsoft is not. So shut up. I have used the laptop for almost two months and have validated my copy of Vista. Microsoft has no business suddenly declare my copy of vista as illegal and blocked my access to the laptop. That is illegal.

Carey Frisch shut  up.

1) Carey Frish is not a Microsoft Employee, he is a person that likes to help people with their problem. I suggest you be nice to him...he may be the person that answers you question next time.

2) "Damn you all at Microsoft. " is not civilized laguage. The civilized way to say that is..." I have a problem, this is what I am seeing...can someone help me?"

3) The original posted has writen his message in the Windows XP forum. If he can't take the time to post in the right forum, why should we take the time to anwser it?

Thank you,

Darin

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 4:41 AM

All replies

• Please repost your question utililizing proper and civilized English.
    Monday, May 28, 2007 3:25 PM
  • Petepg,

Have a look in the Vista section of this forum http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=1004&SiteID=25.  You may be able to run the mgadiag utility, get an error message, search on that error, find someone else with the same problem, then implement that solution.

Good Luck!

Monday, May 28, 2007 4:16 PM
  • I am not sure if I am responding to any of htis"right".  I thought it pretty crappy that the person who responded to Carey sais to respond in civilized English.  I too am totally pissed off because I have been using my 3000 dollar computer for over a  month and all of a sudden out of the blue comes the "your copy of vista is illegal".  What comes along with this great info is that I have lost files, my computer keeps shutting down, I cant get any answers, and all of a sudden my email and all my info is posted LIVE ON WINDOWS SPACES WHICH I HAD NO INTENTION OF AUTHORIZING!!!!!!!  I did not think I would ever be so frustrated with a brand new computer after waiting so long to get a BRAND NEW computer so I would never have to go through the *** of a used one again..I better send this quickly before the screen disappears and then i have to refrain from screaming.
    Monday, May 28, 2007 9:16 PM
  • Caroline,

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Note:  If the "Resolve" button on the Windows tab is NOT grayed out, that means the Utility found problems with your installation of Windows that it may be able to repair on its own.  Please click the "Resolve" button and follow any displayed instructions.

Please note that counterfeit software is likely to have embedded rootkits, spyware, and viruses, which may be the underlying cause of your problems.  http://www.microsoft.com/oem/english/licensing/roc.mspx

Monday, May 28, 2007 9:52 PM
  • Carey Frisch what "proper and civilized English" are you talking about?

Carey Frisch shut  up.
    Tuesday, May 29, 2007 12:59 AM
  • Tuesday, May 29, 2007 4:12 AM
  • Pete,

First and foremost please refraime from using curse language in the public forum. Please contact Fujitsu for assistance with Vista. The operating system was installed by them and more than likely it is an OEM copy meaning the manufacturer is responsible for providing technical assistance. Please post back and let us know the outcome. 

Stephen Holm, MS

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 7:03 PM
  • Caroline,

We ask ALL people to refraime from using foul language in the public forums. We understand our customers frustrations but using foul language isn't proper. Our customers will receive assistance. This forum is used by all age groups from around the world and we need everyone to post correctly. Thank you.

Stephen Holm, MS

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 7:07 PM
  •  petepg wrote:
    Carey Frisch what "proper and civilized English" are you talking about?

Carey Frisch shut  up.

1) Carey Frish is not a Microsoft Employee, he is a person that likes to help people with their problem. I suggest you be nice to him...he may be the person that answers you question next time.

2) "Damn you all at Microsoft. " is not civilized laguage. The civilized way to say that is..." I have a problem, this is what I am seeing...can someone help me?"

3) The original posted has writen his message in the Windows XP forum. If he can't take the time to post in the right forum, why should we take the time to anwser it?

Thank you,

Darin

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 4:41 AM
  • I had exactly the same problem than Petepg.  My copy of Vista is fully and completly legal.  They have no right to do this. I have already contacted Fujitsu and the solution they gave was incredibly subtle! REINSTALL!  Great work Microsoft!!  The problem comes from the latest software update.  Windows is fully aware of this but, still, has not provided customers with a quick and appropiate solution.  Neither has it provided customers with a dedicated helpline to solve the problem.  Very responsible! Call them and wait days for a reply!!!     

Very dissapointed with the new Vista and windows. 

I have being using Ubuntu again for the last few days too.  Although I am planning to get my copy of Vista recognised as legal again I will probably stick to Ubuntu in the future.  It is much more stable system altogether anyway.

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 11:04 AM
  • Mods: Why has this subject not been moved to the Vista forum, where others can see it?

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 2:05 PM