Problem since installing software RRS feed

• Question

• This software was referred to me and I have downloaded trial version.  However now I cannot connect to neccessary site for work.
    gamls / rexplorer

Wednesday, July 22, 2009 8:49 AM

Answers

• I've moved your post to the firewall topic forum.
    I would need a whole lot more information to help you with this and even then it is possible that it is not something that can be resolved. It seems that you are using VPN software to connect to work. Some VPN software will not function with the OneCare firewall active.
    You can, however, turn off the OneCare firewall when you need to make the connection to work. Open OneCare, click on change settings, firewall tab - disable. OneCare will go red, but your connection should work.
    You may need to make some advanced changes in the OneCare firewall. So, same place - advanced button, ports and protocols tab. Scroll down in the list and place a check mark next to Virtual Private Network.
    If that doesn't work, please provide the exact software you are using to connect to work or contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

You may also want to check with the vendor of the VPN software or your workplace for help.
    -steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 11:32 AM

All replies

• I've moved your post to the firewall topic forum.
    I would need a whole lot more information to help you with this and even then it is possible that it is not something that can be resolved. It seems that you are using VPN software to connect to work. Some VPN software will not function with the OneCare firewall active.
    You can, however, turn off the OneCare firewall when you need to make the connection to work. Open OneCare, click on change settings, firewall tab - disable. OneCare will go red, but your connection should work.
    You may need to make some advanced changes in the OneCare firewall. So, same place - advanced button, ports and protocols tab. Scroll down in the list and place a check mark next to Virtual Private Network.
    If that doesn't work, please provide the exact software you are using to connect to work or contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

You may also want to check with the vendor of the VPN software or your workplace for help.
    -steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 11:32 AM
  • This software was referred to me and I have downloaded trial version.  However now I cannot connect to neccessary site for work.
    gamls / rexplorer

This is actually a website that is shutdown everytime I log in.  I have installed every patch, changed setting in IE, etc. that is recommended by the site as is required for every computer that accesses it.  I have used it without a problem for the last 7 years until installing one care
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 3:43 PM
  • Have you tried turning off the OneCare firewall to see if that resolves it?

If you remove OneCare, does the web site allow you access? My guess is that the web site needs to enable or install a control that is being blocked by OneCare.

-steve
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 4:32 PM
  • And, I'll add that if I were in your shoes and turning off the OneCare firewal or removing OneCare resolves the issue, I'd probably not spend a whole lot of time troubleshooting it further and simply go with a different security package. OneCare is an end of life product. If you choose to subscribe, your subscription would be fully supported for the 12 month term, but it will not be renewable after that as it will be completely shut down by the end of 2010. If your work access functioned well with the Windows Firewall, then I'd look at Avast (www.avast.com) or Avira (www.avira.com) for a free antivirus program for now and then later this year switch to Microsoft Security Essentials which is currently being beta tested and due for release later in the year. Microsoft Security Essentials is based on the same engine and definitions as OneCare, but does not include the other features of OneCare beyond the antivirus and antispyware componenets.
    -steve
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 4:37 PM